grab a partner...

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

CANDANeh

grab a partner...

Post by CANDANeh »

When teaching a class I always say "grab a partner" when time comes for working drills/sparring with another.
Always students look around for someone they are most comfortable with, observe...it can be amusing.
In my opinion it is time to "aggressively" choose someone who will present a challenge, especially if your in a situation such as visiting student(s) or in a mixed group of various styles etc...
The look on someones face when you "grab them" as your partner can reveal much as well. Often apprehension is evident which indicates potential freeze in real situation? Who knows...maybe or maybe not but those with no preference of partners may have an edge in my opinion.
Léo
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Do you find that most students partner-off with someone of their own belt level--and, are they expected to, or not?

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

2Green wrote:Do you find that most students partner-off with someone of their own belt level--and, are they expected to, or not?

NM
Ideal situation yes, but in our dojo not expected to do so. However, there are some at every belt level that many tend to avoid as partners. Different reasons for all I suppose such as friendship, gender and I think avoiding fear of the unknown. some although they try to hide it...do not want to work out with someone they perceive as better than them especially if contact will occur.
Lunch rooms...ever sit with a group that isn`t "your group"
We are still so tribal and stepping out of comfort zone is difficult for many.
I think as MA however, it is an important conscience decision we need to take in and out of dojo.
Léo
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

So I was recently shown a wonderful way of forcing...uh...I mean...helping everyone work with everyone.

Two lines facing:

ABCDEF

Now - letter A doesn't move. And 1 moves to where B is located, so after the first rotation it looks like this

23456F
A1BCDE

Second rotation

3456FE
A21BCD

So each time the partner opposite A slides across and becomes the person next to A. At the other end of the line the last person in A's line turns the corner like a conveyor belt.

Works like a charm.
Did you show compassion today?
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Nice formula...like it!
Good method to move us out of comfort zone and quite simple to apply
Léo
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Always good throughout the night to call out “Change partners.” Gives them a variety of people on the same drill.
CANDANeh

Initiate

Post by CANDANeh »

Variety of partners helps you and others no question. Put it to the test when someone new visits, who seeks the unknown?

Not taking the initiative to "grab " someone as a partner but instead looking for someone who is more comfortable in my opinion should be "trained out".

Are those that will work out with anyone regardless if facing the unknown more aggressive? Less chance of failing in a confrontation?

Or simply more outgoing personalities?

Personally I had it "trained out" of me years ago by instructors who may have believed the same...
Léo
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

One downside I see is too much switching when person A knows the material and is teaching person B who hasn't grasped it yet. I've been on both sides of this situation and it should be taken into consideration when doing change ups.
I was dreaming of the past...
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Grabbing everyone is easier when you know everyone. Everyone in the school will train with me. When I go to seminar however that is a different matter. I've had several many men turn away from me. Most don't say anything, just pretend they don't see me & don't hear me. Others will beg off with little excuses like "don't want to be ungentlemanly," "Sorry, I'm old school." "it must be the gray hair," and my personal favorite "I think there's a woman over there who doesn't have a partner."

At this point in my training I've no interest in forcing someone to work with me when I'm at a seminar where I've either paid a bunch of cash or spent a bunch of time traveling to get there. So I see it as their loss, turn my back and find someone else to play with. However I also do my best to not hold a grudge. And many times by the end of the seminar some of the same folks have offered an apology and then asked to partner with me later and some never look my way again. It used to spoil my day - it no longer even comes close.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Others will beg off with little excuses like "don't want to be ungentlemanly," "Sorry, I'm old school." "it must be the gray hair," and my personal favorite "I think there's a woman over there who doesn't have a partner."
Dana Those are good ones, do you have any more? :lol:

Personally I find working with women in seminars and class practical from a real world perspective. Let's face it you may have to handle one someday so it's best to get used to that fact. Also some gals are just great to work out with. Dana, Heather and Vicki come to mind along with some others that nobody here knows.
I was dreaming of the past...
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Hey Dana:
I'll train with you any day and no doubt learn a lot doing so.
I trained with women when I was starting out because the classes were mixed and I've also had female Senseis.

I just try to adapt to my training partner based on Karate skill, and I respectfully adapt for female partners based on anatomy and social conventions, (basically chest, face and groin), but try to present a challenging contest.

I think I have a pretty good balance going and I can mix partners whether male or female and learn lots, and pass out some pointers too.
I don't care if I pick a girl or a guy to do a drill with.

They can show me something, I can do the same. Many females I have trained with have had particular insights or abilities that amazed me.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Sue E

Post by Sue E »

"I think there's a woman over there who doesn't have a partner."

Happens to me often, large men don't want to partner with ninety pound women.

Unfortunately partnering with only women will not give me the training I need. If I find myself in a situation where I may be forced to defend myself chances are I may be attempting to deal with a larger male.

Having women train with women is not the answer.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Unless your going fairly hard theres no excuses to not swap partners a lot .

this is especially important when you get large skill differences , it is simply not fair to have the top folks stuck with lesser folks for the whole class .

now and then sure .

i`m sure thats not so pc , but I`m being honest , ive been in clubs and seminars where I`ve felt my role was just a teaching one , fine in itself but not on my dime .

Anyone that knows me knows I teach anyone at any level , and am keen to help out .

I quite often partner with women however , and without getting too general think I actually learn more at a seminar with a skilled women partner as theres less ego involved mostly (some women like some men want to prove themselves :roll: , especially frustrating if they think you wont knock them out because there a women )

But also theres times were I need the feedback of a more physical opponent , no offence Dana your powerfull but the weight difference alone means we couldnt try things at a certain level .

It`s a tricky one best addressed by variation of partners
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

No offense taken. I know there's a very huge leap between going hard with me and going hard with a 6'3" guy over 220 pounds.

The thing I run into from that to time that really ticks me off is when I'm at a seminar and my partner (male or female) feels the need to teach me something they like to do instead of working on the drill the person running the seminar is asking us to train.

More than once I've had to redirect them saying "that's not this drill - can we go back to what they're doing so we can get it right before we move on?" That's usually when ego rears its ugly head and I get answers like "they're showing you the basic, I'm showing you the advanced version."

Hmph. I don't like to see advanced variations from anyone until I'm able to do the basic version well. Otherwise why bother going to the seminar? If I'm not there to learn I'll go sit along the wall and enjoy my time chatting and visiting with folks and not take up floor space.

Short version = I don't like partnering with people at seminars who are more interested in teaching me than learning together.
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

I don't like partnering with people at seminars who are more interested in teaching me than learning together.
Now that is a real good reason to avoid a particular partner even though they are normally well meaning.
Actually Dana, it is one of my top "pet peeves" to observe in progress or be subjected to. Very disrespectful to the one leading the seminar/class, very common though isn`t it?
"that's not this drill - can we go back to what they're doing so we can get it right before we move on?
Nice way to give a non conflict out to the person (shouldn`t bruise a secure persons ego)
Consider it stolen :wink:
One of the most difficult aspects of being "the trainer" is a direct result of others giving input into what often is thier method and often shortcuts. In workplaces people have died because someone showed a "better way" in what worked for them often because of a more fined tuned skill/timing.
August I had a training seminar given by a beautiful highly motivated young lady who lost her leg working at a factory as a student, someone showed her a better more advanced way of interacting with a machine that delivers logs to a pulping machine. She changed her career dreams from dancer to educating work place safety.
My point is that training is a responsibility and essentially alterring what is being presented by someone not designated to do so should not be acceptable to the trainer or trainee(s). In the MA world...after the class "Fill your boots!"
Léo

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”