Fast Hands

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Fast Hands

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7022912201

now all she needs is a glare in the eye... :D
Did you show compassion today?
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Would she ever set a table fast :lol:
Léo
Kevin Guse

Right on

Post by Kevin Guse »

Dana,

I thought you said you were a gym flunky? This is great stuff!!! :!: This relates to one of the topics I plan on covering in the body conditioning forum in the near future on eye hand coordination and ambidexterity. You may have heard GEM and I talking about a training DVD that I helped with. Well the group that has put the program together is good friends with Emily Fox and trained her. Cup stacking is one of the training drills of the program. In fact Emily came to the filming one day and put on a "show" of her athleticism with cup stacking. She is older than she is in this clip. After I learn how to put clips from DVD's on the forum I will post the clip of her at the filming when she is older.

Last I heard she had accepted a full ride scholarship to play basketball at the University of Minnesota when she was a junior in high school.

Her younger brother was born with a vision problem and Dr.'s told his parent her would never read a chalk board or play sports because his lack of control of "eye to brain signals". After working with the cup stacking systems as a kid he became one of the best batters on his baseball team.

Great post! I love it. :D
gmattson
Site Admin

I noticed

Post by gmattson »

on the DVD Kevin is referring to, lots of drills that at first glance, you might not associate with a sport.

Interesting how we are so quick to dismiss anything that might not be familiar methods.

Perhaps we can "rethink" some of the old methods of training and understanding of the martial arts if we can accept the fact that "stacking cups' can help "targeting" our kicks and punches!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
CANDANeh

Lucy on the production line...remember that?

Post by CANDANeh »

Porcelain tea cubs maybe... :wink: And I just hope my production manager doesn`t see this and get ideas for our production line 8O

Seriously though, drills that develop eye/hand coordination will enhance MA ability.
I knew someone who used to juggle as he hitched rides to where he was going. He got rides no problem as people were intrigued and no one fears a performer. Also, his hand speed and ability to leave well placed welts on my forehead were in large part due too enhanced fine motor skills I`m certain.
Léo

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”