Outcome Based Training

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Outcome Based Training

Post by Dana Sheets »

In Van's thread about pistrol/firearms readiness training he quotes someone who says that they'll make better shooters because they focus on the outcome of their training and not any individual process.

Is this what we tend to do in martial arts? Do we have an end goal in mind when a white belt shows up at the door? Is there an end goal?
Did you show compassion today?
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

I remember many years ago a time when the issue of belt ranks came up during a training session.

I had had just passed my green belt test, and was walking around like a proud peacock, quite satisfied with my own accomplishments thus far.

The next day I was asked to warm up some brand new students and to show basic Dojo etiquette to.
The new students were a bit half hearted and began to wander around, laughing, talking to each other and generally were ignoring my instructions. I shouted at them "HEY! YOU SEE THIS?!" (pointing to my belt) IT MEANS I OUTRANK YOU, NOW LINE UP !! I was doing my best to imitate my Sensei's voice and demeanor as I said this.

My Sensei observed this, and calmly walked over to me, hands behind his back, and then pointed to my belt and said: What belt is that?
I stood at attention, bowed, and then shouted proudly: "SENSEI! IT IS A GREEN BELT!!

He then proceeded to grab my arm, knock me off balance, and throw me down to the ground squarely on my back.
As I opened my eyes, he was standing over me, inches from my face. He then said flatly, "So what."
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

First, you have to determine what is the objective you want to accomplish?
If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else.

You should always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise they won't come to yours.

Yogi Berra on objectives and process
I was dreaming of the past...
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

This is a good question Dana.

Do most schools have a goal?

There are schools that say they are a black belt school and very clearly that is the goal.

But what has that to do with anything as was posted in that great story.

The goal in my school is to do our best to prepare for a real situation and every drill we have has that end goal in sight.

This is a work in progress because of course we keep finding things we can do better.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

This is a good point.

When we train folks in WCK we have very specific goals in mind that all lead to the specific ability to apply WCK theory. All moves and concepts are designed to train the student to control and occupy the centerline, the main theory of the system. In short, control of the centerline is based on the idea that two 'things' cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Thus the WCK student is trained to control this centerline or center space between he and the opponent, and thus the opponent’s space and finally the opponent. Special attention is paid to economy in all things: like use of motion, energy and time. This is at the heart of what WCK is designed to train, general spatial and energy control, a general goal that leads to specific results: Control.

When you break down the main theory and the steps used to get there you see various levels of general key attributes, such as minimizing reaction time, maximizing structural speed, speeding up timing, using the opponent’s force, maximizing body leverage and power, continuity of attack, flow, maximizing work done per unit time, etc. In the end the idea is that these key attributes are what make for a good fighter and is found in large doses in 'naturally' gifted fighters/warriors. The belief in the system is that these key attributes can be maximized scientifically through a step by step process. The core theory acts as a common thread that the student can use to mentally bind all supporting attributes together to support one main objective – center space control and opponent control. This way all key attributes are context sensitive and fit into a clear picture in the mind of the student of what and how the end product is supposed to look like. For many this core theory is, in a sense an idea of perfection of action, if you will, that, perfect or not provides a clear and specific reason and method of how to get from A to B to C and why.

Looking at specific defenses to specific attacks and breaking things down is important, as is tailoring our SD training to our modern environment. But IMO what must drive good training, and does drive many similar systems, is what lies beneath, at the core. At the core is where those key attributes reside that can be applied in a variety of situations naturally without thought and is what can often determine success or failure of the indivudual in the sudden unknown of the moment.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
2Green

Post by 2Green »

I don't know what my Sensei's goals are for me, but I set my own goals as I progress, and these goals are based on what I see just beyond my ability.

My last little goal was to form the Sokusen with both feet. Once I was able to do that, my next little goal was to be able to form it quickly from off the floor, on the way to the target.

This way all my little goals stack up upon each other and hopefully achieve the "Grand Goal" of being able to integrate all these small, individual elements of Uechi performance into one natural, automatic process.
I never run out of little things to work on, and occasionally, like now, I have one that's rather large and stubborn...but that's another story.

But that's MY "Grand Goal", not one that is imposed upon me.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”