A Martial Victory...so far.

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Great dog Bill , excellent choice ...

people get so coinfused with the adrenilane thing , the fact is it`s a chemical response that can be mentally perceived different ways

the main way to influence your perception is always experience and education .

sit someone with no driving experience in a race car and see what happens ...

karate training done well might be learning to weave between cones in some eco hybrid

Now give a F1 car to Nigel Manssell
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

2green;

The story is extremely vague. You make her out to be Bruce Lee, attacking instantly and flawlessly with lightning speed and puma like reflexes.

In reality, we have no information what-so-ever how things happened. She might possibly maybe have hit someone somewhere on his limb and it's possible he went home and cried, but we're not really sure.

The journalist admits the girl didn't talk to the media...

Reread the story and keep in mind how the journalist is sensationalizing and trying to build a story with no info.

In my opinion, this story is worthless, as is, for learning about self defense or flight/flight. There are simply no hard facts. Assuming she fought off two muggers, she did everything right. However we are unable to learn from this because we don't know what happened.
"What happened to all the supposed chemical cocktail effects which have been the subject of countless pages of forum posts, and analyses?"
They were there. That is the one thing we can be sure of, since that is science. How she dealt with it, we will probably never know.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

You're correct; I hoped to fill in the media's version with my personal knowledge of the area.

I know that my testimonial cannot convey the intimate knowledge of the danger of this area and the extreme seriousness of any attack there.

My contribution was intended to be a verification of the gravity of ANY incident in this area, thereby assuring any readers that this was NOT an overblown "schoolyard" incident inflamed by the press into a "sensational" story.

The attackers are being sought by the Police, not by the schools or the crosswalk guards.
They were not known to the defender, nor have they been identified thus far, so they are obviously NOT "schoolmates".

This was a very real, and, unfortunately, very typical of this area, attack upon a victim by some habitual muggers.
They were seasoned in their game, she in hers.
Hers prevailed.
Why, MA-guys?

Bear in mind she was female, and outnumbered two-to-one.
Perhaps that is a trivial detail, but it seems relevant and significant to me, MA notwithstanding.

The attackers have not been caught as of Feb 13/06.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

They were seasoned in their game, she in hers.
Hers prevailed.
Why, MA-guys?

Bear in mind she was female, and outnumbered two-to-one.
Perhaps that is a trivial detail, but it seems relevant and significant to me, MA notwithstanding.
maybe they werent used to being called , maybe they arent as seasoned in violence as you think .

I`d be very surprised to survive an altercation unharmed against two crims actually good at fighting or imposing there violent will .

the fact is it is possible , there are so many factors though the article can never clarify , perhaps she just overhwlemed them with superior intent , the shock of a girl being so effective may have caused them to flee , or they may have decided it wasnt wirth there financial gain , and moved on to easier prey ....

well never know .

yay the good guys , but extracting a lesson seem difficult other than there is hope :) , maybe thats lesson enough

Maybe If I got mugged by four guys and beat them all up the headline would read , traditional Martial artist uses oriental skills to thwart Multiple attackers !!!!

you cant judge the individual on the art .

no doubt it probably helped big time though it seems .
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Nicely stated, Marcus! 8)

- Bill
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

2Green wrote: They were seasoned in their game, she in hers.
Hers prevailed.
Is this something you got from the story, or your expectation given the area? Seems to me that there isn't really enough information in the story to know for sure.

It could be either a well-trained and gifted young woman, against two seasoned and dangerous young men, or it could be a girl who took some jiu-jitsu fighting off a couple normal boys over a knapsack. But two 18 year old males against a 15 year old female is a pretty huge mismatch. If these guys were really seasoned, street-harded criminals would one punch in the face, one in the shoulder and a kick in the groin would be enough to stop them?

Like others, I won't say it's impossible, and with the right combination of factors ( surprise, ferocity) it's made more likely, but the way it's presented (sensationalized) makes it a little hard to believe.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”