A Martial Victory...so far.

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

2Green

A Martial Victory...so far.

Post by 2Green »

This was reported on our local news today:

A 15 year old GIRL was accosted by TWO 5'11" attackers described as "tall, black, one with cornrows, one with a bandanna". This happened on a public street as they tried to grab her knapsack.

Luckily for her, she was trained from a young age in Jui Jitsu. She punched one attacker knocking him flat out on his back.
She kicked the second one in the groin, then punched him so hard she dislocated his arm.

Score one for MA.
Now, contrast this TRUE story of, I repeat, a 15-YEAR-OLD-GIRL and TWO very scary attackers, to the repeated "testimonials" you read over and over about how you will be "incapacitated by adrenaline", "hampered by tunnel vision and heartrate" and "limited to a fraction of your training" because only your "gross motor skills" will still operate.
Well, obviously this girl never listened to "the experts".

Perhaps this (I repeat) 15 YEAR OLD GIRL knows something "the experts" who perpetuate the "MA-won't-work- in-reality" myth, could learn something from.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
JimHawkins

Re: A Martial Victory...so far.

Post by JimHawkins »

2Green wrote: She punched one attacker knocking him flat out on his back.
<snip> then punched him so hard she dislocated his arm.
Sorry but this is aberrational.

For most 15 year old girls this is pie in the sky.

If we teach most young girls <or even grown men!> that this is how it is going to go down most of the time, we are teaching fantasy.. IMO

2Green wrote: Now, contrast this TRUE story of, I repeat, a 15-YEAR-OLD-GIRL and TWO very scary attackers, to the repeated "testimonials" you read over and over about how you will be "incapacitated by adrenaline", "hampered by tunnel vision and heartrate" and "limited to a fraction of your training" because only your "gross motor skills" will still operate.
Well, obviously this girl never listened to "the experts".
In cases where the action starts and is over in a split second the 'dump' normally happens later. "I got scared afterwards!"

This is not always the case however, nor is the above related 'supergirl' action.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Women get hit with adrenaline much more slowly than men. Between 3 and 10 minutes later actually. There must have been an evolutionary reason why this was so.
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

It could be that this girl had above average abilities and superior training that allowed her to bring her skills on line.
I was dreaming of the past...
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Here's the link, judge for yourself:

www.herald.ns.ca/Front/481319.html

NM
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Frank Zinck, who teaches at Kyushu-Ryu Ju-Jitsu on Pleasant Street in Dartmouth, agrees that victims shouldn’t combat a mugger.

The fact one attacker may have suffered a dislocated shoulder makes sense to him.

"Jiu-jitsu deals with pressure points and those are prime targets."
A dislocation is a pressure point technique? :lol:

But what's this nuttiness about not combating a mugger. Where I come from a mugging is an assault with the intent to rob.
I was dreaming of the past...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Frank Zinck, who teaches at Kyushu-Ryu Ju-Jitsu on Pleasant Street in Dartmouth, agrees that victims shouldn’t combat a mugger.
what if I dont choose to be a victim ?

what a concept ? , how about individuals use common sense , and if they have the oppurtunity they make the world a better place to live by doing whats right .
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Sun Tsu wrote:
She will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
2Green

Post by 2Green »

I think the police were just trying to prevent some future muggees who saw a few Ninja-Turtle shows from suddenly deciding they could take on the bro's who attacked this 15-year old.

Good advice by the way. Too many people try to pin someone else's medal on their own chest.

And: "trained or untrained: should you resist a mugger"?
There's a topic for a new thread!

NM
J. Pukekohe

Post by J. Pukekohe »

"the experts" who perpetuate the "MA-won't-work- in-reality" myth, could learn something from.
I'm confused by this statement , could you expand on it? In reviewing the posts on this site I have read much discussion on the hormonal effects of fear, flight or fight responses etc. But I have not found any "MA-Won't work" threads.

Could you post an example of "the experts" perpetuating this myth? I'd like to read more on the topic.

JP
J. Pukekohe

Post by J. Pukekohe »

should you resist a mugger"?
Why not rephrase it and ask if you should accept a physical beating ?

I suspect you know which side of the fence I come down on. :)
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

J. Pukekohe wrote:
"the experts" who perpetuate the "MA-won't-work- in-reality" myth, could learn something from.
I'm confused by this statement , could you expand on it? In reviewing the posts on this site I have read much discussion on the hormonal effects of fear, flight or fight responses etc. But I have not found any "MA-Won't work" threads.

Could you post an example of "the experts" perpetuating this myth? I'd like to read more on the topic.

JP
Hi JP. Welcome to the forums.

please tell us about yourself. Where are you from? What is your martial background? Who is your sensei?
J. Pukekohe

Post by J. Pukekohe »

Benzocaine, I thank you for the welcome to these pages.

The personal information I wish to make public is contained in my profile. I have a real name and not the name of a drug. If you choose to post using this "handle" its fine with me. I'll not ask you who you are. :idea:

I have no intention of insulting you or any of the other readers but I don't know what kind of nut cases might be frequenting these forums. I have no desire to endanger myself or my family by disclosing my location.

My opinions should be judged by the validity of the statements I put forth and not on what styles I've studied, what rank I hold, or what rank my Sensei's holds.

JP
Last edited by J. Pukekohe on Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

JP - welcome.

I understand and respect your desire to not give any additional personal information but I thought it would be good to mention that Benzocaine's questions are well within the normal discussion/topic on these forums especially since you're the new poster on the block.

Benzocaine has been posting on these forums for quite awhile, I've met him in person (as I have a number of folks who post here.)

We have often asked new posters in the past to introduce themselves and their background to get a better idea of where they are in their training and where they're coming from when they post. Ben just happened to get to it before anyone else.

happy posting, happy training,
Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Neil
Perhaps this (I repeat) 15 YEAR OLD GIRL knows something "the experts" who perpetuate the "MA-won't-work- in-reality" myth, could learn something from.
I don’t think so. Here is the answer
It could be that this girl had above average abilities and superior training that allowed her to bring her skills on line.
Also she probably was of a different genetic make up. I know men and women who would kick ass like that and more without any martial arts training at all.
Women get hit with adrenaline much more slowly than men. Between 3 and 10 minutes later actually. There must have been an evolutionary reason why this was so.
Maybe so, but the mother who was able to lift a car off her daughter because of the adrenaline ‘kick’ seems to prove differently. Without immediate dump none of that superhuman strength she needed.

The ‘dump’ is fight or flight = survival.

It is the dump that gives that almost supernatural strength/flight velocity_ and that effect doesn’t last long. 3 to ten? Her child would have been crushed to death.

3 to 10 minutes? Not sure. All women would have eliminated in primordial times as they came under predatory attack. Fight or flight is needed ‘now’

The usual jab at ‘experts’ right? :lol: It is really comical to me. Tony Blauer has studied tens of thousands of real fights to arrive at his conclusions. How many have we?

Wait...we have mushin... :wink:
Last edited by Van Canna on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”