Girl Power!!!

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

how would you feel if people started regularly referring to you as a member of "the cute sex?"
hey that`d make a nice change , we men need lovin too !!!

as long as they mean it :D
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I'm not even one women so I can't even speak for myself on this, let alone for all women. I'm really not well-versed in feminist thought anyhow. I'm sure Dana can give a better and more personal explanation if she wants to. All I know that a significant number of women find it belittling and offensive, and that's enough for me.
I think it`s belittling to assume that a significant proportion of women cant handle a phrase intended as a compliment .

the fact is most women dont mind it or it wouldnt happen , men only speak kindly and nicely of the gender because it illicits positive reaction .

to label it as form of domination is absurd , maybe it could be used in that way , but it`s contaxt and intent , not the language that is important .

I just wasnt raised to view women as that emotionally fragile , treating them as such IMHO is the last thing they deserve .
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The "fairer sex" label was used to keep women out of higher education, to keep women from voting, to keep women from owning land. It was used to keep women out of professions that would prove "too taxing" for our feeble minds (like being doctors and engineers) and was bascially a back-handed compliment that meant that but for the benevolent guidance of men we women would be utterly lost.

The "fairer" sex was also often synonymous to the "weaker" sex in every aspect - physical (often true) cognitive (not true at all) and emotional (not true at all).

So while you personally, Meta, may use the term as a compliment, the social majority of male intelligensia for many years used the term in a patronizing manner and as a way to justify maintaining the status quo a male-centric of society.

So it is not that I cannot accept a compliment for my gender -- rather it is simply that in written discourse over the internet I am far more likely to see that term as a pejorative rather than in a positive light.

BTW - I'm not particularly versed in feminism or the movement. Haven't really studied it, seen a few films on it, not quite sure of its upheavals and history. So when I write about these things I writing from my own understanding of historical context and influences and not at all through any kind of a purist (if such a thing exists) feminist lens.
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

That makes sense , kind of like the rule of thumb
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Dana Sheets wrote:The "fairer sex" label was used to keep women out of higher education, to keep women from voting, to keep women from owning land. It was used to keep women out of professions that would prove "too taxing" for our feeble minds (like being doctors and engineers) and was basically a back-handed compliment that meant that but for the benevolent guidance of men we women would be utterly lost.
Meta: If I had left it open to be taken in that context, I do apologize. I was raised to have among many things, to have a high esteem for women, not out of a sense of patronizing duty, but more out of the same respect I have for men (or women) worthy of it.
Dana Sheets wrote: The "fairer" sex was also often synonymous to the "weaker" sex in every aspect - physical (often true) cognitive (not true at all) and emotional (not true at all).
Meta: I would like to convey an aspect from my own personal life history that will no doubt cause an uproar as it does whenever I say it: That is, with respect to human cognitive ability, from my own observations, I find that *generally*, women have higher capacity mental prowess than men in many areas.
Whether or not that is in fact true remains to be seen, however it is my observation.
Dana Sheets wrote: So while you personally, Meta, may use the term as a compliment, the social majority of male intelligensia for many years used the term in a patronizing manner and as a way to justify maintaining the status quo a male-centric of society.
Meta: Indeed, true personal honor, which encompasses the law of respect and fairness in all things, and to admire the talents and skills by which both genders of humankind possess, is a dying way of life. which is probably why I always chose the solitary lifestyle, finding most of my peers not quite palatable.
Dana Sheets wrote: BTW - I'm not particularly versed in feminism or the movement. Haven't really studied it, seen a few films on it, not quite sure of its upheavals and history. So when I write about these things I writing from my own understanding of historical context and influences and not at all through any kind of a purist (if such a thing exists) feminist lens.
Meta:In all respects, perhaps Feminism is more a matter of choice than anything else, which is indeed always worthy of the highest respect in my case.
:)
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”