Girl Power!!!

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chef

Girl Power!!!

Post by chef »

Alaska Girl Makes History by Winning State Wresting Title......Cool!

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5310724

Vicki
:D
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
chef

Post by chef »

Here's a site with a couple of pictures:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/74 ... 0454c.html

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Nice looking young man.
:lol:
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Oh shame on you, Meta!

So she's flat chested and you can't see her "feminine" side with the headgear on.

By those very standards, most males would look pretty nasty with that lycra on. It's pretty sad when there are a lot of average males with "bigger boobs" than she has.

I'm yanking your chain because I should, Meta. No blood, no foul, eh? ;)

It's been my experience that girls lacking in "typically feminine" curves at that age look a LOT better at around age 30 when hormones, metabolic changes, and gravity work their magic. That's just one of many cruel jokes that life and nature play on us.

Let the young girl enjoy the competition ring, and let her be herself. That body will fill out soon enough - when she and nature are good and ready. And by then, she'll have a hell of a head on her shoulders to match. Imagine that! 8)

- Bill
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Ahhhh..
I was only funnin' yo.
But seriously.
Why "girl power?"
Should not we celebrate the fact that she as an individual won and not overshadow (or overburden) the young lady with being an inadvertent icon of the female struggle for equality?
I'd rather have people cheering my name than chanting (insert generic grouping)

:roll:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I don't know, I'd kinda like it if I heard a crowd yelling...

Go Irish-Lithuanian! Go Irish-Lithuanian! Go Irish-Lithuanian!

8)

- Bill
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Irish-Lithuanian=

Hmmm...

Irish......Guinness....

Lithuanian......Symphony Maestro...

Uechi-Ryu...

Ladies and Gentlemen....
I give you...

Bill Glasheen......!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Aww man!

You just had to pick an image with "vertical issues"!

He's squatting, folks, he's squatting!!!! :lol:

Cool shokens! 8)

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Why grrl power? Easy - it still isn't an even-handed world. The balanced is still tipped well in the direction of men in most of the world. Young women and girls were portrayed and still are portrayed as empty-headed fail beings that barely survive.

We have made lots of progress thanks to Betty Friedan and many like her. Were her views perfect? Nope. Did her work do a great deal for forward the cause of women? Yep.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7d8f5.html

Is it time to lay down the torch of feminism?
Not by a long shot.

If it weren't for their efforts to provide equal opportunitites for women there never would have been Title IX and there never would have been a chance for this girl to find out that not only does she love to wrestle in a competitive areana - she's damn good at it too.

And don't cry me a river over football and basketball programs and the like cut from colleges because of Title IX. Those comments fall here on deaf ears. When you're clawing your way up the mountain you don't really feel compelled to offer extra supplies to those already at the top.

Fundamentally a society developed for the major benefit of men cannot become a society balanaced in the interests of both men and women without men losing some of what they once held.

Bring it Girrl! You deserve your glory.
Did you show compassion today?
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Indeed.
I've always felt that American streets have more trash on the ground than any other countries..why?

Americans don't like to bend their legs

:P :lol:

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

In my opinion, the best commercial of this year's Super Bowl.

Campaign for Real Beauty

Please don't look my way when that commercial is playing. I'm an idiot... :oops: :cry:

I don't have little girls, but often wish I was blessed with one. I don't know... Maybe having 6 highly-achieving sisters (one being a twin) infected my brain in a bad/good way.

The qualities that give pleasure to the senses

Let me count the ways...

- Bill
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Dana Sheets wrote:Why grrl power? Easy - it still isn't an even-handed world. The balanced is still tipped well in the direction of men in most of the world.
Meta: Only two objects which are the same can be equal.
Two objects which are similar but different can only have equity such as the base properties of said object possess shared attributes. The differences which constitute offshoots of said attributes of similar objects can be construed as variation and as such have value in accordance with said objects "core" design. These variations are not, and cannot be equated to one another, as then they would not be considered variations of the same object, but rather they would be the same object.

In other words, there can be no true equality (In the literal, rather than social definition) between the sexes, save for removal of the sexes.
Now, if one asks if I persoanlly support and feel that at the base human level, all sexes should be treated with whole equity from the terms of status, to the law and available opportunity, and as well the general ability to do whatever it is they want to do with their lives, then my answer is an unwaivering yes.
To treat others with respect and dignity is being human.
(Unless I am teasing them.)
:P

However,
In the endeavor to maintain a just and equitable society, it may do us all well to not to allow ourselves to become polarized too obliquely, and thusly become blind to the goal, one of which, for many, is the ultimate removal of all gender related prejudice and obstacles from both psyche and society.
In my view, most noble aims.

Zeal can in any case, often spill over to become the exact injustice which we fight against, ironically, sometimes in the name of justice.

The young lady in question did not become a champion simply because she was a girl any more than a certain ethnic group is in itself superior to another.
By injecting gender into the equation, we open the door to doing just that, thereby lessening her hard work, talent, and fortitude which brought her to where she now stands in lieu of her gender.
Some women may see her as a role model (which anyone should) But perhaps for the wrong reasons.
What is the inherent Girl only Power which we refer to?
Are we implying that this person somehow became a champion but by some other ability in which the other gender does not possess?
Or are we really saying: "In your F%^&ikng face, MEN! Hah! A girl kicked your A$$?"

If the latter is true, how does that help the position of equality? What does it stand to prove?

I feel that champions are champions regardless......and..oh, by the way, she happens to be female.
Dana Sheets wrote: Young women and girls were portrayed and still are portrayed as empty-headed fail beings that barely survive.
Meta: I have always wondered how societal ranks among most societies arose. Obviously none of the attributes you described are true, hence human beings would not have survived this long. Where do you feel that this perception came from?
Dana Sheets wrote: We have made lots of progress thanks to Betty Friedan and many like her. Were her views perfect? Nope. Did her work do a great deal for forward the cause of women? Yep.
Meta: I agree, though no one is without flaw. (Or skeletons)
Not even my precious hero MLK. :(
Dana Sheets wrote: Is it time to lay down the torch of feminism?
Not by a long shot.
Meta: So what do you see as the "Ultimate Goal" of Feminism?
Dana Sheets wrote: If it weren't for their efforts to provide equal opportunities for women there never would have been Title IX and there never would have been a chance for this girl to find out that not only does she love to wrestle in a competitive areana - she's damn good at it too.
Meta: Agreed, but perhaps some women may that feel she "owes" the movement something or is "indebted" so to speak?
Dana Sheets wrote: And don't cry me a river over football and basketball programs and the like cut from colleges because of Title IX. Those comments fall here on deaf ears. When you're clawing your way up the mountain you don't really feel compelled to offer extra supplies to those already at the top.
Meta: Do you mean such things like:
1. Banning males from certain fitness clubs, or certain discussions or activities?
2. Needing 12 more days off a year from work than men do?
3. One in five (18 percent) of men have been victims of domestic violence by a wife or female partner as opposed to 13 percent of women by a man.
4. One in nine women admit to having used physical aggression against a husband or male partner (compared to one in ten men)

..and so forth.
Inequity is always a two-way street.
Dana Sheets wrote: Fundamentally a society developed for the major benefit of men cannot become a society balanced in the interests of both men and women without men losing some of what they once held.
Meta: I equally condemn any society dominated by men as I would by one dominated by women, which may not be your goal personally, but a man or woman would be naive if they did not at least consider that at least *some* of those involved with Feminism did not have more noble aims in sight.
Last edited by -Metablade- on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yesterday when I was reading the Sports Illustrated article about Michaela Hutchison and her first-ever accomplishment, one thing struck me. She's the first ever female to win a state high school wrestling title, yes. And she competed in the 103-pound weight class.

That's got to be a "sweet spot" for a girl wanting to take on the boys. I got to thinking about my own son's 7th-grade wrestling experience, and what boys qualify for that class. We're talking pocket rocket class, folks. This is no knuckle-dragging Neanderthal.

I think it's great that an activity gives someone an ability to compete pound for pound like that. This way everyone gets to go out there on the mat and play. And let me tell you... If you're carrying any extra baggage, the better folks in your class aren't going to treat you well. 8O

Just as long as they don't get into the bulimia thing... That's epidemic in some of these activities.

- Bill
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Bill Glasheen wrote:
That's got to be a "sweet spot" for a girl wanting to take on the boys.

- Bill
Meta: But see, this is my point.
Why does it have to be about " a girl wanting to take on the boys?" and rather not about "Competitive Spirit?"

At some point, she will loose, (as we all do) and if the focus was on her gender, then the focus will remain on her gender rather than as an athlete where it belongs.

The ornament of ornaments is knowledge combined with humility.

The Sufi Master Ali once said that "There is no faith like modesty and patience, no legacy like culture, no worship like discharge of obligations, no nobility like knowledge and no prestige like humility."
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

We can volley statistics back and forth endlessly and never reach a consensus on the idea of equity or inequity. I have not, am not and will never argue that women are better than men or men better than women.

The ultimate goal of feminism, in my view, is for feminism to become obsolete. However, before it can become obsolete it must be the squeaky wheel. While the wheel squeaks it will be called "radical" "unfair" "over-the-top" and a host of other things - because change ain't easy.

And BTW the "Campaign for Real Beauty" has used an interesting paradox in its messages. When it first was launched it included a whole bunch of products that were for making you appear slimmer (cellulite smoothing creams and whatnot) that were being lathered on by fuller-figured women who were supposedly completely content with their bodies....anybody else wonder about that irony?
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”