Funny Martial Arts Storefront

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Funny Martial Arts Storefront

Post by Dana Sheets »

:D
It is three different products, or just one class?

Thanks Rik!

Did you show compassion today?
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Oh Dana. That is hilarious!!

(At least they got 'em in order!!)

:D
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm scratching my head on this one...

Is it martial or marital? I've seen the dyslexic gaffe a few times.

It all could be martial arts stuff, and someone mixed up the letters.

Or...

Back in the 1970s when I used to take trips into Chinatown in New York City, I noticed that the martial arts supply places did indeed sell... um....

Ma-ri-tal aids. :oops: Of course I would never.... :roll:

Sex and violence under the same roof? Obviously the concept isn't new.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Dunno Bill. But the store is here in Chinatown DC. One day soon I'll stroll over and see for myself.
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

It can't be any worse that this "dojo" next to my house:

http://patriotmartialarts.com/

They have an enormous sign of a "Minuteman" on top of the roof, and every Saturday they ask female students to promote the dojo by standing on the corner, wearing a bikini and holding a "$20 trial and free uniform" and "Yes, we are students here!" .....signs....
8O

Sad...so very very very sad....

And I I love this...
"Yokakida"....
OoooOoOOo...If only I could learn that!!!
(Whatever it is.....)
http://www.patriotmartialarts.com/yokakida.html
:roll:
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Just for the record - Meta's photo is not attached to the article on the site.

I may not agree with how they're getting women in the door but I completely understand why they would want to come up with a system that attracts more women.

Hard "traditional" training is just not what most women are after. They was a good workout that they can do with their friends, feel good about themselves and their bodies and have a little asian mystique along the way. Am I making generalizations...yep...but it is also based in what I've seen and from what many, many women have told me after seeing the buises on my arms and legs.

Cardio Kickboxing programs and the like are primarily populated by women. "Hard" karate styles like kyokushin, Uechi, Goju, etc. are primarily populated by men. Styles that fall in the middle have more of a mix.

Why begrudge them for developing a successful business plan? Though I do begrudge them for exploiting their female students...however...those women are choosing to stand out there of their own accord...tis curious indeed.

**thinks to self**
are they brain washed or something?
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Please check out the store Dana

Very funny find regardless.
However, the potential design of the stun gun worries me.
Léo
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Dana Sheets wrote:
Why begrudge them for developing a successful business plan? Though I do begrudge them for exploiting their female students...however...those women are choosing to stand out there of their own accord...tis curious indeed.
Meta: It's funny, my wife says the same thing.
Every time I go off on a rant regarding all of the McDojos out there, and how they are muddying the arts, and cheating people and giving them false hope, she always takes all the fire out of my bellowing with statements like:

"What do you care?"
"They're trying to make money just like everyone else."
"Don't try to force people to change their minds..Let people do what they want, they'll find out themselves eventually if it's B.S."

...and my favorite:

"At least they are improving confidence, health, and getting exposed to at least "some" parts of Asian culture, and that might lead them to pursue it more."

Grrrr!
Damn her for being so...so..."reasonable!!!"
Damn you all!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dana Sheets wrote: **thinks to self**
are they brain washed or something?

Meta: It's an interesting phenomenon, by which certain people will religiously (and sometimes violently) defend the teachings and or teacher of a Dojo which they attend.
Loyalty is an admirable quality, but when any ideas which may even *hint* at conflicting with the Dojo and Sensei are often seen as some sort of bizarre blasphemy, it can be downright unnerving.
It's even worse if the Dojo is a McDojo, and the bottom line is $$$$.
Indeed for some, perhaps M/A as a "religion" is a good metaphor. M/A may fill the social as well as mental and spiritual needs for many people, myself included, but as it is often with religion, there are some which are more "cult like" than others, and some can be downright destructive or dangerous.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

If there's one thing we Americans are good/bad about, it's mixing our cultures and interests. Next thing you know, you have the following.

Just what/who is Chyna?

A martial artist?

An athlete?

An entertainer? (WWF. 'Nuff said...)

A product of modern pharmacology? Modern plastic surgery?

A sex idol?

An actress?

Only in America...

And especially in California.

- Bill
benzocaine

Uechi in that web site

Post by benzocaine »

http://patriotmartialarts.com/williamp.html

It seems we have a Uechi practitioner(Shohei ) at Meta's neighbor's "Dojo".

"Okinawan Shohei Ryu Karate (Uechi-Ryu) Has its roots in ancient China at the famous Shaolin Temple. This Ryu, or style, has traveled from China to Okinawa and is now internationally recognized. Shohei Ryu combines the movements of the tiger, crane, and mystical dragon into a unique and diverse fighting style.

Come train and learn this ancient yet powerful system of unarmed combat."
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Meta: It's an interesting phenomenon, by which certain people will religiously (and sometimes violently) defend the teachings and or teacher of a Dojo which they attend.
Wonder why? :agrue: :lol:
Van
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

They have an enormous sign of a "Minuteman" on top of the roof, and every Saturday they ask female students to promote the dojo by standing on the corner, wearing a bikini and holding a "$20 trial and free uniform" and "Yes, we are students here!" .....signs....

Yes sad.

So you ever try a class there :?: :D
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

benzocaine wrote:

Yes sad.

So you ever try a class there :?: :D

Meta: MO Yada!!...(No way, I don't like it)
I've never tried beef tongue or tripe, or stuck my finger in a vat of hydrochloric acid either..
:lol:

Besides, I've lurked (just to make sure they weren't you know, training a secret army of terrorist ninjas...and I must say, from what I've seen, any resemblance to any of the Martial Arts was purely co-incidental.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

What Joanie Laurer aka Chyna is, is a woman who has faced a difficult life and has, after a moment in the spotlight during her stint in professional wrestling spiraled into the dark fates of addiction, aggression, and abuse.

In struggling to find her place in life she has modified her body through surgery and pharmacology and none of it seems to have made her happy. She is definitely an example of how the media can sometimes let us see too closely into someone's life. Someone who is in obvious need of care and support and instead is only offered the side-show stage. And when negative attention is the only kind you can get....

The search for acceptance from outsiders leads many people down difficult roads. They make choices they think will bring them happiness but instead discover (often too late) that the people they thought were supporting them were only using them.
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

She's still hot though...

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”