TCM

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

John Giacoletti

TCM

Post by John Giacoletti »

I noticed in another thread that Shihan Mary Boltz is also a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, a licensed massage therapist and licensed acupuncturist in California.

My heath care practitioner of choice is also a woman who has the identical professional qualifications. She is also a licensed facilitator of Donna Eden who gives seminars on Energy Medicine.

I've discussed karate with her and have done kata for her just for her evaluations from her TCM point of view.

Are there any published accounts and /or evaluations of karate training and techniques from the Traditional Chinese Medicine point of view?

I'm interested in knowing what the early kung fu students and monks thought about their training and the effectiveness of their moves from their medical perspective as they understood it in their time as to health and the physical condition of their bodies.

My doctor was impressed with the Uechi kata and the manner in which energy was brought into the body and explosively discharged. She was able to easily identify certain targets and the consequences of strikes to those sensitive areas. She saw yin/yang and the meridian theory as the theoretical underpinings.

I regard her as an ernest, sincere and effective medical professional. She's an important adjunct to my health and medical care.
There is much to make of every moment.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Beyond what's in the Bubushi there's this interesting article:

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/oldsite/human_heart.htm
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”