Australian/UK(?) Stats: male/female and male/male

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Australian/UK(?) Stats: male/female and male/male

Post by Dana Sheets »

Two different sources have come unverified to me mentioning that these numbers are either UK or Australian in origin. I've not been able to verify either list yet.

The lists exclude domestic violence and focus only on violent assult/robbery.
Statistically the 5 most common assaults against women are:
1. The victim was approached from the rear/side/front, a threat was made with a weapon, and then the weapon was hidden. Then the victim's right upper arm was held by the attacker's left hand and the victim was led away.

2. A silent or rushing approach was made from the victim's rear, and then a rear neck/head lock applied and the victim dragged away.

3. The same approach as in #2, with a rear waist grab. The victim was carried/dragged away, normally into bushes/alley etc.

4. The victim was pinned to a wall with a throat grab with the attacker's left hand. A weapon-shown threat was made, and then the weapon hidden, and the victim led away.

5. The victim was approached from rear/ front/side. The attacker grabbed the victim's hair with his left hand, and then she was dragged away.
If you google the above list you'll get a DVD reference on Ebay but that's not my source.

The following list is also waiting to be verified. Obviously this is different than Patrick McCarthy's list and/or the list from the Bubishi.
Statistically the 10 most common assaults against men are:
1. Push to the chest, which is normally followed by the retaliation of a punch to the head.
2. A swinging punch to the head.
3. A one-handed front clothing grab followed by punch to the head.
4. A two-handed front clothing grab followed by a head butt.
5. A two-handed front clothing grab followed by a knee to the groin.
6. A weapon of convenience swung at the head.
7. A kick aimed at the groin or lower legs.
8. A broken bottle or glass jabbed to the face.
9. A slash with a knife.
10. A grappling style head lock.
Did you show compassion today?
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Dana:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsltl2y/karate ... shhaov.htm

I believe the article is from an unpublished manuscript by RJ Nash. The intro said it was compiled by a Home Office study group. The webpage link at the top of the article is broken but implies that RJ Nash is a shotokan practitioner in the UK. The material looks accurate to me.

Rory

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”