Hung Gar E-book / Seisan

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Hung Gar E-book / Seisan

Post by Dana Sheets »

Did you show compassion today?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Furi-nukite?

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

three boskikens :?:
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

vertical elbow :?:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Nice link Thanks
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

This is Hung Gar's "Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen" (Taming the Tiger) form, the oldest of the Hung Gar forms. It is attributed to the founder of Hung Gar, Hung Hei-Kwan. I have an instructional VCD of this form and while there are a couple of similar techniques, Taming the Tiger is much longer than Seisan and the two do not look similar in performance.
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Here is a page that apparently has some Hung Gar clips on it:
http://www.fuhok.com/Hung%20Gar%20Training/linkuen.htm
Unfortunately I am on my parents AOL account and am limited in what I can do, including unable to view the clips.
The one to check for this thread is "Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen", the 4th one down in the forms list...click on the "View" link to the left of it.
Glenn
cdoucet

Post by cdoucet »

This is interesting..

I have learned the fuk foo half of gun ji fuk foo in my kung fu class. I have been looking to find the form in its completness..

Presently gun ji fuk foo is broken down into gun ji and fuk foo, which is taught in my school as 2 sperate forms.

Tradationaly its one super long form.. im in the process of trying to find a clip of the entire form in its complete traditional state without resorting to paying $40 to find a couple of bridging techniques... thanks dana im gonna poor over this for a little while :D

Chris
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hi Glenn,

Ya - I've seen this form done as well and it not at all something seisan is derived from. I just thought the poems combined with the selection of images make an interesting sort of...riff...of the seisan postures.

I also like one of the descriptions I read somewhere on those pages that while they do the form slow and strong each posture represents one in a string of continuous attacks - either with different techniques or the same technique over and over.

I'll also take a peek at the link.

Chris - you might want to take a gander here:
http://www.cyberkwoon.com

It is another board I visit and mostly just lurk on but if you dig around there's lots of good info.

happy training,
Dana
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Chris,

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd3/coll_southern.htm
VCD #320 on this page has what I believe to be the entire form, and costs less than $10. It is an instructional VCD that goes into quite a bit of detail showing the entire form and then breaking it down into segments shown at different speeds and different camera angles. VCDs play in most DVD players.

It is filmed and made in Hong Kong, and is only available in Chinese unfortunately. Still, you can get a lot just from watching the performance. My understanding is that it is the entire Taming the Tiger form, but after reading your post above I suppose I cannot be certain of that. It would be a relatively inexpensive way for you to find out though, if you're interested.
Glenn
cdoucet

Post by cdoucet »

I haven't learned gun jo half of the form yet. Im still trying to figure out fook foo.

alot of the problem is that what I learn with my sifu and what i find on the internet are completly different.. my school seems to have changed some things. so its hard to pick out a few things..

With gun ji half it seems it has a lot of breathing to the form. it can run from anywhere from 1:30 minutes to 2:30 minutes. and thats just gun ji.... Now theres alot of doing the same stuff on either side. which possibly might be eliminated in the complete form of gung ji fook fu.. That I don't know its one of the things I'm trying to figure out.

Fook foo stand alones.. runs quite long aswell.. its a great work out by all means when putting everything into it.

thanks for the link I will check it out.

Chris

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”