Sara Parson: JJ champion and blind

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Sara Parson: JJ champion and blind

Post by Dana Sheets »

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/ ... meteam.txt

"SPRINGDALE -- At first glance Sara Parson looks like the average teenager. She goes to college, hangs out with friends, spends hours on homework and kicks some serious tail in the world of competitive Judo.

But there is more to Sara than meets the eye.

Blindness hasn't stopped her from living a normal life, or from becoming one of the best martial artists around. In a truly remarkable story, Sara has overcome staggering odds to become a national jujitsu champion.

To hear it from her, she's just like every other student at Landolt Jujitsu Academy in Springdale and those who think her challenge might make her different are usually the ones who find themselves slammed to the mat flat on their back.

"My instructors treat me the same as any other student," said Parson. "If I don't block, I get hit, just like anyone else."

The Springdale native got her start in the martial arts four years ago. She was attending high school at the Arkansas School for the Blind in Little Rock, when her interest in martial arts took off. Representatives from the Little Rock Judo Center visited her school, giving Sara and her classmates a chance to learn the ancient art, something she had always wanted to do.

"I've always been interested in martial arts" said Parson. "So I definitely wanted to learn about it."

She now attends Northwest Arkansas Community College, and studies martial arts at Landolt where she is the only blind student. The 18-year-old competes in both Judo and Jujitsu at the national level, and anyone who knows the rules of Jujitsu can certainly attest to how amazing Sara's success really is.

A traditional Jujitsu match consists of three phases: striking (phase one), throwing (phase two), and grappling (phase three). A good jujitsu student must be efficient in all three disciplines to be successful, making it even more difficult for Sara to compete.

"Jujitsu is definitely harder for me, especially striking," said Parson. "I just have to wait for them to come at me, and then make my move."

The former national champ must possess the quickness of a cat and a courage all her own to take on those odds, and while Parson may be a "Cinderella Story" on the mat, judo isn't always a fairytale world.

"It can get very tiring," said Parson. "I've been bruised, bloodied, and broken, but I keep coming back because I love the sport."

In a story too unbelievable for even the most dramatic Hollywood movies, Parson defeated an entire field of sighted (non-blind) opponents to take home the 2004 National Jujitsu Championship. Parson also took home first place honors in the Lone Star Classic, a regional tournament with competitors from all over the south.

Parson is currently working toward earning a spot in the World Games, possibly giving her a shot at competing on the 2008 Olympic team. In order to compete in the World Games, she must have good showings in several tournaments and camps in the upcoming months including: Collegiate Nationals in March, a camp at the Olympic Training Center in April, North Glen Championships in May, and a final evaluation in San Jose, Calif.

"One of my friends went to the Olympics in '04," said Parson. "So a lot of us are working towards getting on the Olympic team as well."

Sara said few of her opponents have cut her any slack despite her blindness. And she wouldn't have it any other way.

"Very few of my opponents underestimate me," said Parson. "It doesn't matter if I can see them if they're on their back."

Sara Parson sees things in a different way than most of her opponents, and perhaps that's the reason for her success.

"It's all about your game plan, if you don't have one you're in trouble," explained Parson. "I just have to be confident in what I do, by making my game plan and carrying it out."

So far she has, with a crystal clear vision for the future."
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

this was posted earlier , dissabilitys can be overcome

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=g4nresbab.0.ff5 ... G_NAGA.wmv

not as an example of dissability but of positional dominance

I think there is even an organisation for blind Judo
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

There is a competitive outlet for blind Judo. I'll have to look for the article.
It may be in the special olympics. I was looking for a hint that she wants to be on the Special Olympic Judo team in the article but didn't see it.
We often randori with our eyes closed and sometimes you do better because you naturally focus on the feel of the balance point.

Striking is another story though. Imagine competing with a blind person and moving in and knocking them out with the first punch. That would have to make you feel like a schmuck.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Not if you wear blindfold, maybe we need headgear with beepers in them 8O
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

How about heat seeking sparring gloves?

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com