Back to Basics

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Back to Basics

Post by Dana Sheets »

So...going to gym is boring for me. One reason I like karate is that there's a group of people doing something useful and there isn't endless terribly pop music blaring in my ears. However - just karate doesn't get me running or doing quite enough cardio and my personal inertia factor is quite high so.....

Enter:
http://www.sarge.com/

No Music
No Dancing
No Mirrors
No Machines
No Spandex
No Juice Bars
No Crybabies
No Refunds

Their marketing has more bark than their actual instructors do. So at 5:45 am a group of DC professionals gather on the b-ball court at a local playground/park and do warmups, run around for a couple of miles, push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, weights, ranger runs through the neighborhood, longer runs on Wednesday....

Good old fashioned running and calisthenics.
(Enhanced with modern core training and plymetric practices)

From Wiki:
The name calisthenics is Greek in origin, a combination of the words kalos, 'beauty' and sthénos, 'strength'.

While I won't be in danger of reaching any kind of Platonic ideal anytime soon I'm happy to have found a group that fits my temperment, my love of working out without machines, and my goal of better fitness.
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”