Do the Twist..

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

JimHawkins

Do the Twist..

Post by JimHawkins »

For Dana and those interested in karate with a bit of a twist..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DEVYxsihlE
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Jim. I saw this and several other clips with this man a few months ago when they were first posted on BBTV. The man in the clips is Hanshi Patrick McCarthy's present teacher.

What is shown in the clip is nearly identical to the kind of training I do in the lineage of Mr. Nakamatsu. The core is used to consolidate and propel force as explosively and effienctly as possible.

I think for a long time folks believe that the less of the body you engaged in a technique (i.e. the less you moved) the more efficient you were being. But true efficiency isn't about using less - it is about using exactly what is needed to get the job done - neither more or less...as Goldilocks would say..."just right."

I was actually a bit speechless when I saw the clips a few months ago because both the demeanor and explosive movements, as well as the teaching style between the man in the clip (who's name escapes me at the moment) and Mr. Nakamatsu are so similar.

If you go to BBTV there are a number of other clips. I'll see if I can find the links.
Did you show compassion today?
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Cool Dana..

It's also similar to the twisting we do in WCK, from the second form and third forms a few differences, like the twist starting from the feet is exaggerated but when the feet can't turn freely it looks more like that..

We start off not twisting at all and later add the twist. This seems to re-enforce the facing and linear power, then later the twist is added to the linear, and then shortened, this allows for more explosion, snap and whipping added to the movements if appropriate.

There are also moves that specifically use twisting as part of the receiving, drawing in, or redirecting, kind of like a powered revolving door that uses the opponent's power and yours to turn and receive while the other "side" snaps out with a whipping action..
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Dana Sheets wrote: (who's name escapes me at the moment)
Katsuhiko Shinzato.

http://seinenkai.com/salute-shinzato.html

Incidentally, the kata demonstrated in full is Naihanchi Shodan, the "Sanchin" of Shorin-Ryu. I'm excited to see this video, as I have been hoping to catch a glimpse of Shinzato Sensei's mechanics. It's also interesting to me that for the most part he chooses to do Sanchin-like steps rather than the high Naihanchi leg kicks normally taught in Matsubayashi Ryu.
Last edited by mhosea on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
John Giacoletti

Post by John Giacoletti »

I was impressed by the speed generated by the central core twist and torque.

The student was barely able to block the punch even though he clearly knew what technique would be used.

In a way this is hyper drive yin/yang. :lol: Push/pull dynamics.

There are similar twisting and unleashing moves in Matayoshi Shinpo's bo kata, particularly Shishi No Kun, the highest kata in the stylle.
There is much to make of every moment.
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

Mike
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Mike - that's the gentleman's name.

What I also like about segments is that Mr. Shinzato has worked his training to the point where it is a natural explosive movement and his movements are relatively small and sometimes too fast for the compressed video to show well. And in the shots of his students you see them in a range of size and coordination of their core body movements.

really good stuff.

-d
Did you show compassion today?
John Giacoletti

Yamani-Ryu Reference

Post by John Giacoletti »

The link to the Hawaii web page stated Shinzato Sensei studied Yamani-Ryu Bojutsu.

Tsunami Productions has a video/DVD on Yamani-Ryu Bojutsu.

Is anyone familiar with it who could comment on any similarities in the use of the bo to the core torque movements in empty hand?

In Chou No Kun kata there is a dramatic twisting springing reverse strike to the side which incorporates a lower body twist to generate and unlease power.
There is much to make of every moment.
mhosea

Post by mhosea »

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can provide some additional background information. I presume the video you refer to is done by Oshiro Toshihiro, who, like Shinzato, was also a senior student of Kishaba Chokei, who founded Kishaba Juku, this "study group" of whip-like body dynamics. However, to muddy the waters, I think the Yamanni-Ryu bojutsu expert of the Kishaba family is Chokei's younger brother Chogi, who studied Goju-Ryu rather than Shorin-Ryu. I have seen some grainy clips of Yamanni-Ryu kobudo on the web, but nothing that would answer your question. Come to think of it, most of that information is on the Hawaiian site, but I learned it from an an old friend who is teaches Kishaba Juku and is currently a senior student of Shinzato Sensei. He's studied bojutsu with Kishaba Chogi, but he's not ranked in it. Unfortunately for me, we parted ways 25 years ago. He went on to karate greatness and me to other things, but if you find yourself in Panama City, Florida, look up Paris Janos Karate School and tell him Mike Hosea sent you.
Mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

There's a Yamani-ryu teacher at summer camp almost every year.

I've seen lots of tape of it and in my opinion it's the best.

Check the schedule to see if he's coming this year.

I've never been there on the right day to do his class.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”