Pressure Points

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Pressure Points

Post by Dana Sheets »

OK - can of worms I know.
I also know to look at Bruce Miller and others like him who've done good work.

However I thought the explanation of pressure points given in the last post on this thread by Rusty McMains is very interesting.

http://www.gojuryu.net/forum/viewthread ... owstart=20

The post starts:
posted on 12-08-2006 11:19
As I decribed before, there aren't any "nerve" strikes. Understand that nerves are simply "pathways of telecommunication" much a phone cable. Nerves conduct messages to and from the spinal columnn...
happy training,
d
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Nice.

BTW I've just started to learn shiatsu from my friend. Fun stuff.
I was dreaming of the past...
gmattson
Site Admin

Interesting

Post by gmattson »

how many people still believe in magic and "no touch" knockouts.

The fact that some teachers still teach them destroys their credibility in areas where there is some substance.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I'm not entirley dismissive of the notions of Qi/Ki and pressure points :oops: I am quite willing to believe that there is a lot more to learn than is commonly known in Western science :D
http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=s9kIGXF2kKk
IJ

Post by IJ »

I looked at the thread and yes, nerves are "conduits" from a sensor somewhere to an interpretive center somewhere else (whether a simple reflex arc, a near instant and automatic computation (such as with vision) or true contemplation), but I don't buy the argument there are therefore no nerve strikes.

Striking nerves can obviously cause them to report false or misleading information, whether that it be in

--a lack of touch sensation after a nerve has been hit;
--severe pain from an area the nerve serves because you interpret the signal from the nerve as coming from the sensors that feed the nerve and usually create the signals traveling down it, rather than the conduit itself
--semiaccurate info like the high pressure coming from hitting the carotid, misinterpreted to mean the systemic blood pressure is high and resulting in a diffuse lowering of blood pressure as a reflex

And there isn't any data to support the argument that,

"PP's are not nerves. They do not register pain, pleasure, cold, heat... nada. PP's are denser fields of BEME (bio-electro-magnetic energy) like concentrated pools of water within the body. Affect the energy and you affect how the nerves receive or dispense messages much like interference of a satellite feed. Reception is fogged or completely interrupted."

This is an analogy, or some kind of schema... it's like saying Zeus threw lightning. May have some descriptive power but the fact that he's using quasi scientific language or comparing the phenomenon to technologic devices doesn't make it real or accurate.

In a simple sense, all PP strikes are nerve strikes. Absent the presence of "chi" channels, for which I've never seen any convincing evidence whatsoever, the only way you know anything on your body has been touched is through the signals from your nerves.
--Ian

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”