qigong/chi gung/chi kung/chi gong

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Five dragons , I absolutely agree

I think Sanchin in itself is a chi gung form , I think theres a lot you can incorporate and explore within the frame work

sort of paralell discussions running on The IUPA forums at the moment

http://www.wilsonkarate.com/forum/viewt ... hp?tid=253
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

"I think Sanchin in itself is a chi gung form ,"

Yeah, probably one of the BEST, the thing is it's not in the form, it's in the attitude of the person practicing it.

For every person there is a different sanchin.

Dana and Marcus, I got a book a while ago by Vladimir Vasiliev called "Let every breath..." I read it, put it down, and after a couple months decided to actually try working the exercises and principles.

It's not called chi kung, but it is. :lol:

Awesome book. Buy it. :lol:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Dana you mentioned that your aches and pains are less since starting Qigong.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... +chi&hl=en

Pail Lam modified Sun Tai Chi to make this.

Sun is full of powerful Qigong 8) So I'm told :)
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Yes - the various forms qigong takes are interesting. Many of the good ole junbi-undo exercises can be found in various chinese qigong sets. And that series can be a simple physical warm up for muscles and raise the body temperature or - by adding intent - it can also train other things.

heel pivot - bring the mind to the hip joint and focus on relaxing and opening the hip

heel raise - bring the mind to the foot, to kidney 1 (bubbling spring), the bones and joints in the foot.

foot and ankle twist - bring the mind to the ankle, to the knee, while keeping your center low and your connection to the ground stable

knee circle - mind to the knees, warming them

lift leg and turn - mind on the connection to the ground, the hip joints opening, the backs of the legs stretching

straight leg kicking/swinging - mind to the center, create the wave that bring the leg up in front and then across the body, loosen the body and relax

waist scoops - bring the mind to the kidneys and the back - opening and warming

double arm thrusts - bring the mind to the shoulder joints - opening and warming, to the hands and wrists - fresh fluids pumping into the small joints

neck movements - elongate the spine, mind to the vertabrae - opening and bringing in fluids

shinkokyu - mind to the dan tien, directing the breath to the dan tien, let the rest of the body raise and open - extending once the breath hits the dan tien let it drive the fluids out to the tips of the toes and fingers, the top of the head and the end of the sacrum.

You may have to slow down a bit to add the intent - but once you're used to doing it you can speed back up - so now your mind is entirely focused on warming up your body throughout the movements instead of just being passive or distracted by other thoughts.

I find I feel much more "warmed up" if I do the series while leading my intent to varous parts of my body and specifically the major joints.

The brain pays attention to what we identify as important - so if we think about warming up - then the brain knows that this is an activity it should optimize for. If we think about work or our families while we're warming up - we're asking the brain to decide which thoughts are the most important.
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you show compassion today?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Dana
"And I've been using these two books which I highly recommend:
Way of Energy by Kam Cheun Lam
Chi Kung: Way of Power by Kam Chuen Lam"

He has a video out also, which I have, originally it came from a Channel 4 TV series " Stand still and be fit"
On the Video he says that he went to a Chi-Kung teacher who told him to go and Stand for an hour...he says on the Video that he thought that the teacher was trying to make a fool out of him :D, later he be friended the Master's son ....hopeing to learn some secrets , and the son also said that his Dad told him to just go and stand :lol: .........there is a lot here and particularly of martial interest, this Qi-Kung originates from I-Chuan, which is itself derived from Hsing-I.this later found it's way to Japan and was known as Taikiken ( although it is not Tai-Chi :lol: ).....check out this guy
From Jim Prouty's thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8XMWG4Leo

and the original thread
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... %2A#157016

I-chuan also gave rise to all that "Empty force" business
but the Taikiken have fought Kyokoshinkai guys as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Dana, your students are very fortunate. :D
benzocaine

Re: qigong/chi gung/chi kung/chi gong

Post by benzocaine »

Dana Sheets wrote:so for the past 100 days I've been doing an hour of qigong in the mornings. Sometimes it is a series of postures, sometimes it is simply holding a single posture.

When holding a single posture it is much like classical stance work. The muscles fatigue, I realign, something starts to shake, that passes, my thoughts drift and drift back. I've focused on standing in stances where I have good structure, I've tried to let unnecessary tension out of my body, and just stand there and breathe.

And I've been using these two books which I highly recommend:
Way of Energy by Kam Cheun Lam
Chi Kung: Way of Power by Kam Chuen Lam
Are you taking any classes in addition to this?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I learned them during some traditional chinese medicine body manipulation classes I took in new york.
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Five dragons , I absolutely agree

I think Sanchin in itself is a chi gung form , I think theres a lot you can incorporate and explore within the frame work

sort of paralell discussions running on The IUPA forums at the moment

http://www.wilsonkarate.com/forum/viewt ... hp?tid=253

I agree, worked with it last week.

Application wise, sanchin ki kung is great as well!
benzocaine

Yoga

Post by benzocaine »

What about Yoga? Gigong's close cousin? It's a great mind calming bodystretching strength excersize :?: :D
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Sure - those'd be fine - however I'm more interested in the traditions out of china - simple preference. Movements that help to increase the blood flow to the joints, calm the mind, and take the body parts throug their range of motion while the practitioner guides their intent - all that's good no matter what "style" it is coming from IMO.

Heck, ain't that why dancing feels so good?t
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

are you gonna fight some Kyokoshinkai guys? :D
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

:?:
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

AAAhmed46