Rape Defense

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

f.Channell

Rape Defense

Post by f.Channell »

As a teacher of Karate with many young women between 11-17 I see movements in the Kata Seichin to perhaps be some of the best for them to defend with. Sparring, Kumite a lot less useful. My friend a female Uechi instructor is currently teaching at a womens crisis center in Boston. The women she teaches have been in violent relationships, some raped by their fathers or other family menbers. Others thrown down stairs and assaulted after breaking an arm or leg. Some have survived these kinds of attacks multiple times.
Anyway she highly recommends this site, as a basis for much of what she does with them.
Looking closely, you should see a lot of Kata movements, of course much of what Van says of Awareness etc... also important.
www.justyellfire.com

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Has anyone taken this training or taken the instructor certification training?
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Here's Chad Van Dette's web site.

http://www.escapetogetsafe.com/about.php

Nothing really new or unique that you can't find elsewhere.

I'm getting cynical in my old age
I was dreaming of the past...
AE Moores

Post by AE Moores »

Hi Fred..it's been awhile... I hope all is well.

Do you know what they teach about the psychological and emmotional side of self defense? It has been my experience that this is the most important part of the equation.
Shugyo Training Camp
www.atlantickarate.com
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hi Andy,

Most of the instruction my friend is doing is to those women who have already been raped, often by family members, sometimes multiple times.
The psychological and emotional scars I'm sure run deep, definately better dealt with by a professional in a psychology field.
But I suppose through this training they can begin to rebuild some confidence. and perhaps learn some cognitive skills to avoid it in the future.

I don't know, sometimes I feel the more I learn, the less I know.

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

i dont mean to hijack the thread in anyway but that was a good question about the phycological side of womens self defense course.
Danna i am sure this has been discussed before but now i am wondering for my own knowledge.
should a "self -defense course" for women pass the psychological issues to a professional? should one be involved in the course if possible? what issues should a martial art instructor stay away from?

steve
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

This article might answer parts of your question. Certainly about some situations to prepare for.

http://www.rad-systems.com/Articles/parallel.html

f.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I am very clear when I teach self defense that if a student has strong feelings or emotions that come up due to training they should find support either with family, friends, or a professional. Not all people can afford professional counseling and free and fee reduced counseling isn't always readily available.

I think student will always experience and express strong emotions at some point in their training. We are in the business of helping people learn and try to do new things that might be outside of their comfort zone. For some being aggressive is new for others being restrained is new...so there's a huge range.

Each teacher will develop their own way to deal with strong emotions when they come up. If it is a time out during training or taking the student out for a coffee or a drink after training to find out what is going on. But I do think that unless you're a credentialed and certified mental health professional you should not attempt to address the significant mental health needs of any student. That's when knowing what is best is knowing to refer.
Did you show compassion today?
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

i think teachers need to be very aware and sensitive to students in these classes.
i see two catagories of students 'pro -active" , students who have a certain amout of fear but want to controll that fear and want to feel more confident thru training before anything ever happens. these are the students i feel all teachers have in mind when teaching self defense courses.
the second group however have lived the nightmares and may be looking to reclaim there lives thru training. i think teachers will sometimes forget that these students can and will be in their classes as well. this is a delicate situation when students are looking to heal emotionaly thru training.
i remember a situaton that was not a self defense class but i was sparing with a female. she was really good and kickign my butt so i thought " ok she is good and very tuff" so i brought it up a notch thinking she would be ok with it.(i should add there was no contact at all and gear was worn) . i just started sparing at the level she was coming at me with. she did fine for a little bit but then she started freeking out and started crying. it took me totaly by surprise. i felt like an a$$. i had no idea she had any type of bad history.
as i look back on th situation i can see she was looking at me "as her past" and trying to push thru her emotions but was overwhelmed emotionaly and couldnt handle it. her agressive nature was actually out of fear and emotional scaring.
as teachers we need to keep in mind everyone is there for different reasons.

steve
robb buckland

Discovery....

Post by robb buckland »

"......as i look back on the situation i can see she was looking at me "as her past" and trying to push thru her emotions but was overwhelmed emotionaly and couldnt handle it. her agressive nature was actually out of fear and emotional scaring.
as teachers we need to keep in mind everyone is there for different reasons......... "
In sales after greeting and warming up a customer step 3 is generally ...discovery , in this phase of a contact we uncover triggers(hot buttons ) .

I try to use the same process when initiating contact with training partners or students ....... :) :)
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Robb,
As topics like that are often sensitive and some people won't want to divulge something that personal at first...how do you go about this? I'm just curious. This is great information when you are training with someone, but how do you broach the subject?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
robb buckland

Initial contact ..(phone /personal)

Post by robb buckland »

:D :?: Back in my Golds gym days we would ask durring the "tour" what are your fitness goals ?....in the case of a martial arts student or self defense prospect the tour questions are designed to create a "yes funnel" resulting hopefully,in the prospect saying yes to a training package (the sale). The questions that help to determine the prospects mental fitness to participate are:
1.Have you ever been in a self defense situation ? (raped/assaulted)?
2.How did you respond ?
3.Would you respond differently knowing what you know now?(after introductory class)

If youve covered these bases youve done about as much discovery as is appropriate in an initial :D contact............... :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

That makes sense... Thanks Robb. I know that when I was deciding on starting MA, I started by lurking on some MA forums that have places particular to Women...this was one of two good ones I found, bTW....and all of those noted to make sure your trainer/coach/sensei knows in advance of any personal issues that might cause you to freak out...which makes complete sense to me....

But, I'm kinda a geek when it comes to research, :lol: so not everone will follow that route.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
robb buckland

Lurking on forums

Post by robb buckland »

Boy I wish that avenue had been around when I started out !!! :D

I'd have made less mistakes and saved both time and $$$.

Robb
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

welllll...I look at it this way..you'd just find new mistakes to make and more fun things to spend $$ on....

but yes, the forums are VERY helpful...

Thanks GEM Sensei and all those who put these things up and keep them going!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”