A parallel universe.

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

2Green

A parallel universe.

Post by 2Green »

It seems that lately, I am finding that Martial Arts is some kind of parallel universe to mainstream thought.

I'm reading a book call "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, an autistic who earned a degree in Animal Science and became a consultant for many high-level meat-industry companies who sought humane solutions to difficult animal-processing (hate that term!) problems.

She puts forth, with some difficulty, a rather balanced, insightful, and well articulated case for the similarities between animals and autistics.

But as I read her story, I'm finding an increasing number of parallels with what I might term as "traditional" Martial Arts concepts.

What I am referring to is the vast richness that exists beyond " how to hit the heavy bag harder".
Yes, that IS important and not to be ignored.

But there is a complete mindset/school of thought embodied in Martial Arts that is becoming somewhat "under shadowed" in a modern world that may equate "Martial Arts" with "Ultimate MMA Fighter" or whatever those shows are on TV.

I like the hard physical training, but the payoffs somehow translate into the mental, I don't know why. Just the mystery, I guess.

I posted about this here because Ms. Grandin is a female author, but also, I would encourage anyone looking for a good "Summer read" to check it out and give it some thought. It's a Best-Seller.

I'll be happy to exchange views/comments with anyone who actually reads the book.

~N~
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

My boss talked quite a bit about this book when we were making our short film on the life of a woman with Autism. I'll see if the local library carries it.

-d
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”