Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A parallel universe.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:52 am 

It seems that lately, I am finding that Martial Arts is some kind of parallel universe to mainstream thought.

I'm reading a book call "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, an autistic who earned a degree in Animal Science and became a consultant for many high-level meat-industry companies who sought humane solutions to difficult animal-processing (hate that term!) problems.

She puts forth, with some difficulty, a rather balanced, insightful, and well articulated case for the similarities between animals and autistics.

But as I read her story, I'm finding an increasing number of parallels with what I might term as "traditional" Martial Arts concepts.

What I am referring to is the vast richness that exists beyond " how to hit the heavy bag harder".
Yes, that IS important and not to be ignored.

But there is a complete mindset/school of thought embodied in Martial Arts that is becoming somewhat "under shadowed" in a modern world that may equate "Martial Arts" with "Ultimate MMA Fighter" or whatever those shows are on TV.

I like the hard physical training, but the payoffs somehow translate into the mental, I don't know why. Just the mystery, I guess.

I posted about this here because Ms. Grandin is a female author, but also, I would encourage anyone looking for a good "Summer read" to check it out and give it some thought. It's a Best-Seller.

I'll be happy to exchange views/comments with anyone who actually reads the book.

~N~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:13 pm 

My boss talked quite a bit about this book when we were making our short film on the life of a woman with Autism. I'll see if the local library carries it.

-d