What is an ideal training/workout schedule?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

What is an ideal training/workout schedule?

Post by Shana Moore »

If you are seeking to advance in your art, what is the ideal training schedule? I realize this will naturally vary some by person, goals, available time/resources...but for a student of lower rank, seeking consistent growth of skill and understanding...
  • How many class sessions, minimum, should she/he attend, weekly?

How often should she/he practice on own?

Do you feel there is a minimum cardio/weight/stretch routine that should support the rest?
I have my own thoughts on this, but wanted the opinions of the karateka, senseis, & other teachers here...thank you!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
gmattson
Site Admin

Good topic Shawna. . .

Post by gmattson »

It all depends. . .

If you wish to build a successful (meaning that you wish to pay the rent) dojo, best to keep a schedule that average and busy people will be able to maintain. . . while keeping up their interest.

Twice a week, for one hour a class.

The majority of students will not (for whatever reason) stick with a more intense schedule and these are the people who will pay your rent!

If you are serious about teaching, offer "special" classes for those who wish to take lessons for reasons other than simply getting into shape and learning the fundamentals of self-defense. You can offer these classes as part of a separate payment (surprising, but people believe that they get what they pay for.) program. It is important that these classes/programs are billed as "optional" classes, so when the inevidable "reasons for stopping" kicks in and other things are vying for their time, students will be able to maintain their regular program and drop-out of their extra classes, without being made to feel like they are a quitter.

Your goal, as a dojo owner, is to build a class of students who become "lifetime" members. Face the facts. . . not everyone is as dedicated as you and it is better for them (and you) to have students who stay with a less than UFC training schedule,, but stay with you for the long-term.

I get a kick out of teachers who tell me about that fantastic student who studied with them for a year (six time a week) , but dropped out and hasn't been heard from since ...

If you are that student, or a new student getting involved with the martial arts, consider the importance of sticking with whatever program you chose and if you really want to stay with the program, select a schedule that fits into your lifestyle and will not disrupt those important elements of your daily life.

Looking forward to hearing what others feel about this.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I attended class 4-5 days a week my first three years. I then faced a health crisis and cut back on my training to once or twice a week. I'm now teaching 1.5 classes a week and training on my own 3-4 times a week.

You'll know within two weeks who is training outside of class and who isn't. You'll also be able to identify the students who want to "eat bitter" (train everything to their best possible level) and those who want to get in a great workout that happens to be martial arts based.

Some people only accept the former and some only teach the latter.

The austere training of Uechi challenges each person to reach a new personal level of achievement. Once the tools and methods are known each person will decide how far they'll take themselves.
Did you show compassion today?
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

i have to agree with George ,
consistant training is the key. many new students are very excited and want to train as much as possible only to find their bodies cant take it, nor can their motivation level. however this is a very individual decision. over the years i tended to be in the dojo 3 or 4 hours a day 5 days a week. but then i am totally abnormal lol..
i think mixing it up with a gym membership or some other complimantary exersize would be great.

steve
~~~~~
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

Its all individual ,I have posted on this topic a few times in the past ,I have taught on the mainstreet to a wider net work of people ,but my heart after a while was not really in it , my thoughts and feelings were heading for something more private ,and of course my own purpose built dojo and no rent to meet ,obviously by the time it was built I was broke but elated ,as I stood back and surveyed the dojo .

The dojo was open all day from 8 in a morn till half nine on a evening ,obviously I was not there all that time I had to work ,I always did a 20 min to half a hr before going to work unless I was off color .
On work days I taught individual people from six till half nine ,they would turn up as and when they could attend ,every one got individual attention on the concept of sanchin every one new all they were gonna get was sanchin ,as I unpeeled its concept to establish a powerfull foundation ,the drop out rate was high but new blood was always waiting to fill someones boots ,if they could not do it they went it was difficult ,the ones who passed through moved on to seisan and conditioning and sparring eventually ,at this stage its got the concept of two man work with the aim of using the principles of both sanchin/ seisan in a natural attack and defence way .

But like every one else you get bad and good attendance ,this then dictates getting concepts moving in a healthy on going manner [individuals ].

Max.
max ainley
Shana Moore

posts split to serve both topics better

Post by Shana Moore »

I think Max and Hoshin were having a great conversation that really deserved it's own thread, so I have split that thread so it can be done justice on it's own.

Please feel free to continue conversations on both topics. Very good conversations.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

a student's perspective

Post by Shana Moore »

Thank you to all the senseis and teachers who have shared thier points of view. I humbly offer a simple student's viewpoint as well.

I believe that skill progression is best served when it is something that personally fires you up (mind and spirit, as well as physically), you have personally committed time to it, and it is balanced within your whole life. I think this balance is what leads to a lifetime practice...a practice that I am only at the very beginning of starting and moving ahead!

That said, I think working out a total of 5-6 days/week is the ideal, and that classroom training, personal practice, and outside workouts (weights, yoga, stretching, cardio) all need time for a balanced body/mind.

Pre-pregnancy, my favourite schedule included weights 2-3x/week, cardio 2-3 x/week, class 2x/week, yoga and/or stretching daily...obviously, this means I paired up two of the above on most days....hoping to get back to that type of schedule as soon as doc and body allow!

Who knew recovering from surgery on your tummy could be so...challenging!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”