Happy Mardi Gras everyone!!!

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chef

Happy Mardi Gras everyone!!!

Post by chef »

Shana reminded me (with a wonderful text message) this morning that today is Mardi Gras! I used to live about 15 minutes outside of New Orleans for 7 years and always had both Mardi Gras and Jazz Festival on my calendar...personally, I prefer Jazz Fest more. Too much hedonism for me with Mardi Gras.

Actually Mardi Gras has a (now) Christianity basis (with a pagan slant). Mardi Gras (ie. Fat Tuesday) is the day before Ash Wednesday, ushering in the fasting before Easter. See url below:

http://www.novareinna.com/festive/mardi.html

My favorite things about Mardi Gras are collecting the doubloons and better beads thrown from each Krewe or parade (and there are many) and enjoying the wonderful King Cake, colored in purple, green, and gold sugars. My favorite was from Gambino's, Randazzo's, or Haydels...the ones filled with cream cheese and cherry pie filling. YUM!!!

...so what are you giving up for Lent?

Regards,
Vicki :silly:
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

yuuumm...will have to try one of those filled cakes next year...found a great french bakery that made the almond ones and introduced the joy of king cake to my workmates...was a fun morning!

Laissez les bons temps rouler (y'all)!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Interesting link, Vicki! They note the colours stand for justice, faith and power..I'd always heard equality, fidelity, nobility...similar ideas, I guess.

While I don't celebrate Lent, I was planning on honoring those that do with a small sacrifice and meditation of my own. I'm giving up "impatience with others" for these 6 weeks. I don't think I can give up impatience with myself...I'll save that for another time. I think this will be hard enough. I realize this is not a "thing", but it is a noxious habit that serves little purpose, and I think it fits well with the meditative, prayerful, and penitent reason for the season.

Wish me luck! :roll: 8O :D

What are you giving up Vicki?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

hahah I feel so denied.....we don't do mardi gras up here :(
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

sounds like it's time to start some new traditions with your freinds! what a great excuse for some fun!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”