the necessary(?) science of MA

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chef

Post by chef »

To tailend on Bill's comments, there is still hope for all you out there that never played a musical instrument.

If this 'tortoise' who was never played anything and is pretty awful at multi-tasking (something Bill excels at), can get to Shodan and higher, there is hope for anyone who sticks with it.

...and remember, "Comparison is the thief of joy"...do your best with what you are given, and NEVER, ever compare your progress and abilities to that of another.

Just do your best with what God has blessed you with, and stay at it.

Cheers,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You are a model student, Vicki. You bring good genes and Greek passion to the table. That's more than enough to start with.

On the music, math, or science thing... Last I checked, it isn't too late to learn, no matter how old you are. I thought I had completely lost my piano playing ability. I hadn't touched one in almost 40 years. Then number 2 son decided he liked me to sit by him whenever he practiced. EVERY time he practiced. So I did so right from the beginning, when he was learning the basics.

Amazing... What I found fascinating is that in some ways I was better than when I last played - particularly on the technique and timing thing. Between sports, martial arts, and guitar, aspects of my piano playing had improved. And number 2 son was the beneficiary, as I became his "second" piano teacher.

Get out of your comfort zone. Play, sing, and dance!

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

hoshin wrote:Shana,
you might want to look into the idea that they had more time back then.
in Funakoshis book he says ... no time for leisure like we have with a 9- 5 job.

back to machanics, i am one to think it is very important to study. not so much to learn karate but to have a better understanding of what you do and why you do it. science should give you a deeper understanding only after you have done thousands of reps of kata. it cant be the other way around...
Hoshin,
Ah! you've caught me with my romantic ideals hanging on my sleeve again. However, I think I stated my point badly, and Bill's post put me back on track to what I was trying to say.

I don't think it's a matter of more time, as much as a better sense of focus. As you state, we have a lot more leisure time. Sometimes this is good (more practice), sometimes it's bad (less focus/attention to what we are doing). As Bill stated, mindful and mindlessness.

I think that modern man/woman, in general (and I really hate to generalize, but bear with me) tend to have less focus. The fundamental sciences were discovered by observant people. I think a good MA is one who can utilize that ability to observe, focus, and learn.

That said, yeah, I am definately guilty of romanticizing the past a bit. sigh.

Bill and Vicki, thanks for some great comments....now..let me get out of here and to class!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”