Instinctive Reaction

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Sue G

Instinctive Reaction

Post by Sue G »

Some training that worked in reality:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=10568236

But did she do enough?
And interesting that she only felt afraid after the event - shock?
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

I think the fear afterwards was a result of coming down from the adrenaline jump. But it IS nice that her training gave her instinctive moves that likely saved her life.

Too bad, she didn't knock him out before she ran back inside....but from some of the posts here, that might be stepping over the line from defense to attacking...

My question would be shouldn't she have blocked/grabbed ina way that didn't give him a chance to cut her? Still...she survived, and that would be a postive outcome.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Jeff Cook

Post by Jeff Cook »

Great article! Reminds me of a personal event.

My very first student, and one of my best friends, was attacked about a year ago in an attempted mugging. She was walking across a parking lot; a vehicle rolled up, the passenger (a very large man) jumped out and blind-sided her. She avoided his punch, he grabbed at her purse, she fell to the ground while countering him, yelling and cursing at him the whole time. He ran back to his vehicle, and he and his female accomplice fled.

She called me immediately after the event (after dealing with the police). She was upset. I asked her exactly what she was feeling at that moment. She said she was very PISSED OFF; I asked her why. Two reasons: very angry that he tried to rob her, and very angry that she didn't kick the living crap out of him.

I asked her if she was scared, or was scared at any point during the encounter. After a moment of silence, she said "No."

I pointed out to her that I was VERY proud of her, that she did the right thing, that she survived the encounter with her health and her valuables still intact. I also pointed out that a NORMAL person would be traumatized by the experience, not PISSED OFF because she didn't pound the guy into a crying, bleeding heap. :lol:

I think her mindset during and after is at least as significant as the physical aspects.

Jeff Cook

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”