Good teacher's criteria?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

harlan wrote:Sorry. Refering to your post that 'for women that start for SD time will be a factor'. Could you elaborate?
Oh....

Just about anyone who feels the need to develop SD skill (concern for one's safety) will want to acquire some useful skill sooner rather than later.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Shana Moore

sorry for gap

Post by Shana Moore »

I have split some of the posts off into a new thread entitled
Sample-women why MA/different focus?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
MikeK

Re: a thought on student breakthroughs

Post by MikeK »

Shana Moore wrote:In those instances, to Harlan's and Mike's point, a good teacher is excited that their student has advanced in that one area and excelled. A poor teacher, will punish that student by "putting them in thier place", especially if the teacher was inadvertantly injured in the incident.
Pretty much spot on. I've injured my teacher and I've had my juniors injure me when they did something right that I had taught them. It's a possible outcome with how we do things. Now I have talked with students after about using a bit more control but that never takes away the smiles and high fives from them getting the lesson right and being able to execute it. It also means it is time for the teacher to rachet up what he's doing.
Shana Moore wrote:I could be wrong, but I read this as a breakthrough moment with excitement or punishment by the teacher...not takedown by the student of a master.
Right, though there is nothing wrong with a student taking down the teacher.
I was dreaming of the past...

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”