Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:40 pm
Posts: 3700
JimHawkins wrote:
I personally use the spear hand lead but I shy away from it when and if the occasion is serious or could become so--why?

1. I know there is a chance I might actually land on hard bone---ouch! I could break my fingers.

2. I know the chances of me landing the lead spear into the eye of the opponent is slim... Very small target..


Very true. To take care of that somewhat I keep the fingers relaxed and somewhat curved, with the palm facing a little forward. This way there is some give if you hit something hard, and if you hit too high on the head the fingers glance off still leaving the palm to hit them in the nose, forehead or at least in front of their eyes. One problem that some have with using fingers towards the eyes is that they keep their hand stiff and try to drive it in when it's not necessary, a quick, light flick or even a touch or tap is usually enough to get a reaction from the opponent, which has to be followed up with something more damaging. Like you said, make the connection and then go on the offense.


Quote:
Btw: It's important and little known that wrapping the thumb under, as one 'grabs' any handle...will prevent smooth conversion from the grab to hitting with the same hand.. Anyone know why?


My preferred fist form when I'll be grabbing or shifting between open and closed hand forms.

Image

A Isshin-ryu fellow named Javier Martinez even makes an argument that the Issinryu fist may be indicating grabs in the kata.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
I was dreaming of the past...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 30122
This is a good read on punches :D

http://tinyurl.com/mwpvdn

_________________
Van


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 2407
Location: NYC
MikeK wrote:
Very true. To take care of that somewhat I keep the fingers relaxed and somewhat curved, with the palm facing a little forward. This way there is some give if you hit something hard, and if you hit too high on the head the fingers glance off still leaving the palm to hit them in the nose, forehead or at least in front of their eyes. One problem that some have with using fingers towards the eyes is that they keep their hand stiff and try to drive it in when it's not necessary, a quick, light flick or even a touch or tap is usually enough to get a reaction from the opponent, which has to be followed up with something more damaging. Like you said, make the connection and then go on the offense.

Interesting, hey whatever works for you...

I like to enter with the fist also because it's consistent with the idea we use to throw only weapons which we intend to land.. IOW if for some strange reason my lead gets past their defense I want it to count lest there is a lost beat which can allow the opponent to convert, recover or continue his attack in that 'lost' beat...

Quote:
My preferred fist form when I'll be grabbing or shifting between open and closed hand forms.

Image


The fists there are very similar to the fist I mentioned..

But I assume the contact point is the first two knuckles on the thumb side of the fist--as I recall from my reading on Isshin Ryu..

On the other hand hitting from the bottom with an up tilt offers a straight edge from fist to elbow. This can be helpful in sliding onto and issuing force/energy into the defense/offense, the contact splitting their center on the bridge...

So the thumb.. If you wrap it opposed the hand must first move back to disengage the thumb, then move forward to strike... Without the opposed thumb the hand can move forward undeterred to instantly strike from that location.. Also the opposing thumb grab can be vulnerable to joint manipulation specialists..

_________________
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:40 pm
Posts: 3700
JimHawkins wrote:
Interesting, hey whatever works for you...


Exactly! Different people will find some hand forms work better for them than others because of physical attributes, ability in seeing and hitting targets, strategy, range, tactics, conditioning, experience and other factors to differing degrees. For me the technique works as a pre-emptive strike or at long hand range if the other guy is trying to keep from closing. If he's blitzing then it's on to elbows, knees and other things as the range has now changed.

JimHawkins wrote:
I like to enter with the fist also because it's consistent with the idea we use to throw only weapons which we intend to land.. IOW if for some strange reason my lead gets past their defense I want it to count lest there is a lost beat which can allow the opponent to convert, recover or continue his attack in that 'lost' beat...


That's a very good approach. I intend to land everything too, but if I don't I do not mind getting a flinch, a blink or some other reaction that may help me get the follow ups in. 8)

_________________
I was dreaming of the past...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Wraps and punching.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
What do you guys think of hand wraps when hitting the heavy bag?

Some boxers i talked to say you should always rap your hands, and that by not wrapping one will instinctivly pull back power in thier punches when hitting the heavy bag.


The other opinion i have heard is that by hitting the bag without wraps, you strengthen your wrists to take impact.


Any thoughts on wraps and punching?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wraps and punching.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 am
Posts: 1750
Location: USA
AAAhmed46 wrote:
Some boxers i talked to say you should always rap your hands, and that by not wrapping one will instinctivly pull back power in thier punches when hitting the heavy bag.


For myself, I don't wrap. I worked my way up from hitting it lightly, until I could pummel at will without even thinking about my wrists.


AAAhmed46 wrote:
The other opinion i have heard is that by hitting the bag without wraps, you strengthen your wrists to take impact.


I guess I'm in that camp. But I'm really interested in what somebody like Bill would have to say on the matter.

_________________
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
I'm on the fence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Been reading wim Demeeres(is that how you spell his name) book on heavy bag training. Talksa bout developing wrist strength using gloves first, then smaller gloves then hand wraps then bare hands.

Also talks about how some people can just go for it from day with all out, just by how they are built.

Guess i was over thinking it.


Great book, goes into this in great detail!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 1999 6:01 am
Posts: 1185
Location: Newton, MA
I wrap my hands if I've doing long or seriously heavy amounts of bag or pad work. Otherwise, my hands feel like crap the next day.

_________________
http://honestphilosophy.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm
Posts: 3519
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Jake Steinmann wrote:
I wrap my hands if I've doing long or seriously heavy amounts of bag or pad work. Otherwise, my hands feel like crap the next day.


IVe sprained my wrist doing thai pad work before, so i know how you feel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group