book recommend/review-strength training for MA?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

book recommend/review-strength training for MA?

Post by Shana Moore »

I'm currently focusing on my physical conditioning (and some weight loss :roll: ), and just recently heard about one of these titles, and I wanted to know if anyone had read any of these related titles and thought they were good/bad/why?

Weight Training for Martial Artists (Paperback)
by Jennifer Lawler

Strength and Power Training for Martial Arts (Kindle Edition)
by Martina Sprague

Weight Training for the Martial Artist (Martial Arts) (Paperback)
by Geoff Thompson (Author)

Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Martial Arts (Ultimate Guide to Weight Training...) (Paperback)
by Robert G. Price

Strength Training for the Martial Arts (Paperback)
by Tony Gummerson

The Fighter's Body: An Owner's Manual : Your Guide to Diet, Nutrition, Exercise and Excellence in the Martial Arts (Paperback)
by Loren W. Christensen and Wim Demeere

I'm in the process of reading the reviews on Amazon and trying to decide which one(s) to buy and try out. I'm leaning toward the female authors in the hopes they might have some female specific tips/information, but I really want simply a great training guide. I HAVE female specific weight training books.

Feedback welcome and encouraged! :D
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Shana,

I know nothing about any of those books, but I'm going very heartily recommend Ross Enamait's material. His stuff is smart, effective, and you get more bang for your buck than just about any S&C resource I've ever looked at.

Ross's stuff has become the core of my S&C routines at this point. It's absolutely fantastic.

Check out his website here: http://www.rosstraining.com/
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Thanks Jake, I am intrigued by the never gymless stuff...but will look into his stuff as I determine which programs I'm going to invest in.

Lots of work to do, better get to it... :D
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"(and some weight loss ),"
I can help with that :) .......studies have shown that you can lose weight by counting carbs rather than by counting calories......and I did it :lol: ....I lost about 20lbs in 6 weeks, and I am a vegetarian so it is harder for me :cry: ..............basically for 6 weeks you follow the diet ..for 6 days you restrict carbs, but on the 7 th you eat as much as you want, then back on the carb restriction....for a meat eater think steak and salad 24/7..kippers for breakfast...but no pasta,potatoes,rice,bread...nice thing is that protein or fat ( both unrestricted ) fill you up....but you can get the "Atkins Flu" were you feel weak.......but just eat some carbs and you'll be fine,,,it does work..............as to books forget them unless you want to waste money :roll: .......there are only about 8 basic weight training exercises......you don't need more...and if you want cardio just use a treadmill or a cross trainer..........or even better shadow box for 15 minutes :wink:
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Shana,

Here's a review of NG that I did on my blog a while back, if it helps.

http://honestphilosophy.blogspot.com/20 ... mless.html

You might find this useful too

http://honestphilosophy.blogspot.com/20 ... urces.html
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Ray,
I've looked into Atkins and other related diets, and I can see some good ideas, but also lots of concerns. My main concern is that it can be hard on the liver and kidneys...being a diabetic, those organs have enough to handle.

BUT,I have increased my protein, and whole grains, as well as fruits/veggies...now that summer garden is in place, I should be doing well. Lots more salads with fresh veggies and herbs..yum!

I'm not a big fan of diets, actually...trying simply to make lifestyle changes I can live with...but I appreciate the suggestions!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Jake,
Thanks for the blog posts. It answered my main questions after looking at the site about whether he provides a variety of performance and aptitude levels as well as some sample workouts. I currently switch up my exercise routine ever 45 days or so, which has worked well, but I could use some alternatives. I hate getting bored, and I like working my muscles from different angles. I just need to start small and work up to things, becuase I still have lots of wieght to lose and muscle to tone.

I REALLY like the idea that the NG book gives you the logic to make your workouts work for you, as that's what I'm really looking to do,at this point.

on the weblinks..thanks. I like the way you reveiw each one. Never hurts to check multiple resources.

Question: I thought it was on this forum that someone suggested Y and T lifts for the back and shoulders..was that you? I can't find it here, and it's a great little set of moves.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Hey Shana,

Glad the links helped. I have a few other reviews of different products up there, if you hunt around. I've come to really enjoy S&C over the last few years, so I've been slowly devouring whatever resources I can get my hands on.

I honestly don't know what you mean by "Y and T" lifts, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.
Shana Moore

Y's and T's and I's

Post by Shana Moore »

Y's and T's and I's are a type of back/shoulder exercise you do lying face down on the weight bench. I was surprised at what muscles it showed I wasn't using properly. I just started these again an currently work these muscles with 1/4 to 1/5 the weights I use elsewhere. I feel like it's really helped with my posture and rotating shoulder stabilizers. I was originally referred to these through a training blog I can't find anymore, below is the closest I can find. I do recommend starting with light weights, just to see what muscles it works before moving up in reps or weights. If you try it, let me know if it's useful to you or not.

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/strt-ys-ts-and-is
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Interesting. I don't do a lot of bench-based exercises, but maybe I'll play with these on my next strength day.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"Ray,
I've looked into Atkins and other related diets, and I can see some good ideas, but also lots of concerns. My main concern is that it can be hard on the liver and kidneys...being a diabetic, those organs have enough to handle. "

Sorry to hear :cry: .......but this diet is only for 6 weeks at most, and you don't need to just eat meat, a lot of the really good veg are low carb..........personally when I have lost the weight that I want I am going to do the walford diet
http://www.walford.com/index.html

http://calorierestriction.org/

check out the vid clips
http://calorierestriction.org/Video_Clips
AE Moores

Post by AE Moores »

Hi Shana,
I'll toss out my two cents. Google Juan Carlos Santana. He is the guy!!! I thought I knew a lot about S & C until I started watching and reading his work.

He has some great DVDs. Here are some:
Body Wt. training vol. 1 and 2. - A must for anyone serious/semi serious about getting fit for martial arts.

SAID training serious. The boxing and mma DVDs have circuits in there that will blow your mind. 12 months worth of workouts in those DVDs.

I can't say enough about JC Santan!!!!!
Shugyo Training Camp
www.atlantickarate.com

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”