the little things

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

the little things

Post by Shana Moore »

As I was driving into work today I was doing something I often do, tapping my knuckles and fingertips on the hard parts of my steering wheel. It's one of my small ways to condition those points, with the thought that conditioning seems to work best in a slow but steady manner (**this is based on some of my recent research, discussions, and a quote noted below)

It also led me to wonder how many little things...small daily or regular things do we do that condition us mentally and physically for our practice.

I remember Bill noting that he carries his sodas to the register in bushikens, to practice....sorta a modern-day jar gripping. :lol:

I read of a fellow karateka who uses a slow round house to redirect her toddler away from dangerous or reckless areas. I often use a rear elbow strike to turn off my light switches (large plate switches..only broke one :oops: )....perhaps somewhat silly...but little things like that can add up.

What little things do you do on a regular or daily basis..outside of regular training/practice that add to your practice?

<><><>
**Dana Sheets noted in a thread:
When I was in Okinawa Master Tomoyose gave a lecture on Uechi. He said that he and others would constantly tap their hands in various fists on the tatami mats while they where sitting and talking, eating, reading the newspaper, etc.

-thread found here=>http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.p ... s&start=15
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Every time I am out and carrying anything, like coffee from Dunkin Donuts, I always open the door with my feet while holding stuff in my hand. Always working on leg balance and strength.

Sometimes around the house, I actually turn off wall light switches with my feet...now if I could only do that with lamp switches...ooooh! Having prehensile feet could be useful.

I practice walking up stairs, centering my weight over my feet to make the least amount of noise....sometimes walk using toe, ball of foot, heel rather than heel first, attempting to make a habit of feeling out obstacles before tripping over them.

...all fun, creative stuff.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

hmmmm...I DO need to work on balance...wow...will have to try some of these!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

When I go into a restaurant, I always find a seat with my back to the wall and facing out. I am now finding I look for the exits out/escape potential. Someone told me about looking for escapes and that stuck with me. I am not normally one who pays attention to my surroundings like I should. I need to improve on that.

Sometimes, I look at a person or vehicle and try to remember specific characteristics about that person or car. I either look away or close my eyes momentarily to see if I can recall specific details (works great for remembering maternity items for baby shower games, hah!).

Regards,
Vicki
CornMaiden

Post by CornMaiden »

Hello, one thought, I brought my jo to class one night and just decided to leave it in my car...you just never know.

Corn Maiden
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Excellent ideas ladies! Yes, corn maiden, you never know.
more! more!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
CornMaiden

Post by CornMaiden »

One thing I always do is practice confident 'body language'. When walking in public places, especially when alone, I stand tall with shoulders back and down, I make eye contact (briefly) with those I visually am on eye level with, and do not have a closed off body.

From what I have perused and seen on Glasheen Sensei's and Van Canna Sensei's forum, perpetrators evaluate one's body language, looking for a person displaying 'victim mentality' via body language.

I think you can read a lot about a person in how he/she carries oneself. Body awareness goes both ways.

Corn Maiden
harlan

Post by harlan »

Personally, I've found that two general areas derail my training: a job and schedule that interferes with fitness, and doesn't allow for solid blocks of time to practice (outside of class).

To 'find the time', I have a timer on my desk. It's set to go go off after 30 minutes. That breaks the 'mental connection' to the computer and workflow, and forces one to GET UP. So I don't have to get creative in a short space of time, I have a list of '5 Minute' activities that I keep handy ('bunkai, walk, stretch, kicks, kata, kobudo, kung li, weights, drink water', etc.). Also, I've made it a point whenever traveling between floors, to walk extra flights of stairs (up and down) each time. Work also allows for 'wellness', so in the winter we can use a free gym at lunch for strength training and cardio.
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

harlan and corn maiden..excellent suggestions...I've been working on taking the stairs more and walking more as well..I'll have to see what I can do about that 30 min reminder...good thoughts!

I like the idea of work breaks as uechi breaks.

ever practiced kicks or dachi in the elevator...gotta be quick or it can be embarrasing... :oops: :lol:
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

one thing that I do is got to the toilet and go in a cubicle, and press my hands against the wall, then I get more of an angle so that I am really doing a type of easy pushup, leaning into the wall, I do this mainly on finger tips or wrists, for women who usually have less upperbody strength than men , and maybe find pushups hard, this is an easier version....I also like to tense my body when at my desk, especially squeezing my fist hard...............I also read on a CQB site that when folks are scared that their gripping strength is magnified 10 times, don't know how much truth their is in that but it sounds reasonable, so I reckon mother nature has some purpose for this...so I got myself some wrist grippers :D .....got them from here
http://www.leehayward.com/heavygrips.htm
I'm only doing the 150lb ones now but I'm going to order the 200lb and the 250lb ones 8) ...I reckon that I can do them at my desk at work 8)
chef

Post by chef »

When I fly alone or have to wait at airports, I stretch my legs and do isometric in the plane seat with my legs & stomach. For instance, I will lean over and wrap my arms under my legs, pulling up with arms, and resisting with my legs. I will also turn in my seat to stretch my spine.

I will also go against a window while waiting for plane, and stretch calves. I like to stand, bend my knee, and pull the ankle up to touch my back end. Good stretch.

My family hates that because it embarasses them so I usually do this when alone.

Regards,
Vicki
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Yeah, it's interesting what practice items we take as normal that others (coworkers, family, freinds) look a little askance at us. When I answered a coworker that the marked knuckles were from punching my wooden clothesline pole (very lightly..until I got a little overexuberant with the rhythm), he kinda raised his eyebrows at me and told me I was crazy in a good way...
hmmmmmmm....
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”