Help on Sanseiryu???

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

chef

Help on Sanseiryu???

Post by chef »

Hey, does anyone out there have Alan Dolar's book, The Secrets of Uechi-Ryu? I have looked everywhere for my book, but believe I loaned my copy to someone and never got it back.

I need a copy of the steps to Sanseiryu broken down from his book, and his is the best description...actually one of the only ones out there. I would like to be able to study the transitional moves at home on my own (13 changes of directions alone on that one kata).

High time I get off my big behind and learn things myself rather than be spoon fed everything by my Sensei. I think when we do that, we can come up with possible applications not shown to us. As my friend Sue says, it's all good.

If anyone out there can scan those couple of pages and send it to me, I would be indebted and very grateful. You can send it to my email on my profile.

I will eventually buy it again, but cannot get it right now. That book has gone up to $50 and higher.

Thanks bunches,
Vicki
Last edited by chef on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

I'll also see if I have the scripts from the old UVA website, as I'm still working through the data Mike gave me. Between layoffs at work (team cut to 1/3 of original) and new baby (adorable and wonderful but LOTS of attention!) I've not gotten to update the website as much as I'd like. If I have that kata, I will forward to you as well.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

I did more searching and just typed in 'how to do Sanseiryu Kata' and went through many and found this from Donna Emschweiler (below).

I will compare this description to Alan Dolar's but will go with this one for now.

Any comments from anyone out there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanseiryu Kata

One of the 3 major Katas brought back from China by Kanbun Uechi.

“Karate strength is not the kind one uses to life weights, but rather the ability to perform action with maximum efficiency and accuracy.” P 239 RED BOOK

I think this quote from George Matson’s book Uechi Ryu Karate-Do best defines this kata. It embodies the movements of the animals of the system - the dragon, tiger and crane. The dragon in this kata is breathing and the flowing movements. The soft part of Pangai Noon. The tiger is shown in power and strength. The hard of Pangai Noon. Remember the use of tiger hands and tiger toes throughout the kata. The crane is shown as control grace, speed, the one leg block, and the crane’s beak, the finishing move, of sanseirui.

Sanseiryu kata involves attacks from 8 different positions, and 36 positions of defense.

So to proceed: sanseiryu kata:

1.Rei (bow)

2. Open to ready stance hirate kamae

3. Step into left sanchi stance with open with a left palm heel right-handed circular block with right-handed left to right wrist blocks and at the finish left hand will perform a watari uke (a crossing block).

4 Left sanchin stance slide (#2 8 form) and right hand palm heel left hand circular block followed by a right hand one knuckle punch. Left slide back (#3 8 form) with both hand shokens knuckle to knuckle, elbows in sanchin.

5. Keeping hands in position turn 180° hands in ready position. Right hand palm heel with left circular block with right front vertical elbow strike. Slide back into right sanchin stance with right palm heel left hand boshiken strike to the chin or bridge of nose, right palm heel, left circular block and right piercing hand strike.

6. Turn 180 °. Left sanchin stance with right palm heel left circular block with left front kick. Left sanchin stance slide (#2 8 form) Right palm heel left circular block right one knuckle punch and left slide back (#3 8 form) into both hands shokens knuckle to knuckle, elbows in sanchin.

7. Pivot 45 ° to right into right sanchin stance. And double 4-knuckle strike to throat, or bridge of nose.

8. Pivot 90° Left sanchin stance. Right hand scoop which would catch an opponents front leg kick and grip would occur at the Achilles’ tendon and left hand scoop which goes beyond left knee to catch an opponents front kick, and left leg block.

9. Pivot 45° left sanchin stance with hands in sanchin.

10. Left leg cross over right leg at 45° angle into a right horse stance 50/50-weight load on heels. With left hand over right hand positioned just inside right knee, right low block, then right hand in low block position drops right in front of right knee scoops in a direct upward position as to catch a kick and then throws directly in front.

11. Look over left shoulder step up into left stance with right one knuckle punch. Left stance slide (#2 8 form) and simultaneously do a one knuckle punch, then for third and final left slide (#2 8 form) and simultaneously do a one knuckle punch. Then right hand in low block position drops right in front of right knee scoops in a direct upward position as to catch a kick and then throws directly in front.

12. Look over left shoulder, hands at kamae, left foot stutter, and right foot full step into right low stance 50/50 weight on heels, left circular block, right frontal elbow strike, straighten hips to center, back fist, and one knuckle strike.

13. Look over left shoulder, 180° turn, hands a kamae, left stutter step right full step into right front leaning stance with 60% weight on front foot and looking over right knee; 40% weight on back leg and back leg is straight. Simultaneously right palm heel left circular block and right vertical elbow strike. Weight is now redistributed to 50/50 as right hand in low block position drops right in front of right knee scoops in a direct upward position as to catch a kick and then throws directly in front.

11. Turn 225° into turn into left sanchin stance and hand positioning and right sanchin strike.

12. Pull left leg back turn pivot – 45°-left sanchin stance at ready. Left knee lift shin block at the same time left circular block right dividing block, when leg raise is finished at the same time the hands are finished rear leg lowers body to a both hands on guard stance after leg block left hand in higher position than right hand. Left leg lowered into a left cat stance (weight distribution is 10% on left foot 90% on right foot .)Then left foot flat to floor.

13. Turn 180° Right sanchin stance at the ready, right knee lift shin block. right circular block left dividing block when leg raise is finished at the same time the hands are finished rear leg lowers body to a both hands on guard stance after leg block - right hand in higher position than left hand.

14. Pivot 45°, Right palm heel, left circular block showing control of opponent. Step into right sanchin stance, perform kakushiken (crane beak strike – right hand come up over right ear to strike opponent on pressure point at junction of left side of opponents neck at collar bone, hand is at a 90° angle on wrist – use hip for power, then pull right hand back using an upside down u movement to have both hands at the ready, then bring back into left knee lift shin block then left foot lands in an left cat stance (10% weight on left foot 90% weight on back leg. Feet flat on floor neutral position hands at ready position.

15. Fudo dachi (hands at side feet together)

16. Rei

Regards,
Vicki
Last edited by chef on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chef

Post by chef »

For the record Donna Emschweiler is a Uechi practioner, affilitated with Okikukai/Shohei Ryu. I believe she attended the Women’s Friendship Tour that visited Okinawa in 2004, so Dana Sheets probably knows her well.

Great to see her description.

Regards,
Vicki
Last edited by chef on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Somebody's birthday is coming up soon...

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

How about your wife's and #1 son for starters. Hope everyone has a good time and all are happy with your gifts to them, Mr. Bill.

Back to our subject now.

Vicki
chef

Post by chef »

So, how were the birthdays, Mr. Bill?

Did your wife and son get what they wanted and have a good time?

Vicki
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hi Vicki,
I think Donna's description works well. You'll find variations (of course) in the degree to which people turn, 90 degrees vs 45 degrees in some areas.

I'll also say that the final circle movement, watari-uke, is not two regular circle blocks or one circle block. It is, in my understanding, a unique movement that blends a circle with a pressure grab (wa-uke on one side plus osai on the other with a palm change in the middle.)

Next time we meet (who's gonna host the next regional?) we can play several variations that seem to be floating around in the world.

cheers,
Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

xx
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

chef wrote:
So, how were the birthdays, Mr. Bill?

Did your wife and son get what they wanted and have a good time?
Long story on that... I done good. (I did the right thing. ;))

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Dana Sheets wrote:
Next time we meet (who's gonna host the next regional?) we can play several variations that seem to be floating around in the world.
There are indeed several variations. I've learned simpler ones, but like the one I do which is a bit more complex. Over time, it's become very 3-dimensional, if that makes sense (several body pivots with the move). That's actually the one I taught Vicki for her Kanchin.

We'll pick each other's brains when we get together.

Hope you have fun with Bruce. I sent him your way to brush up on some Nakamatsu mechanics. ;)

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

...and I thought I sent him Dana's way.

BTW, Dana, I would like to come up some time in the next 6 weeks to work out with you. I haven't done any karate since summer fest and am badly in need of partner work...would love to work out with you and see you and Heather.

Hope all is well.

Regards,
Vicki

PS Glad to hear you did well and made them happy, Mr. Bill.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hi Vicki,
You're always welcome to come and train! Just let us know your schedule. October is a little crazy but the last part of September is still pretty open.
cheers,
Dana
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Dana, how does Saturday, Sept. 26 look for you?

I also read there was a bunkai for Sanseiryu. Does anyone know where I can find out about that? I have asked someone a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to receive any feed back on that question.

Vicki
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The Okikukai developed a bunkai for sanseiryu. I think I have a transcript on my old hard drive. If I find it I'll email it down. I'll check the family schedule for 9.26. :)

cheers,
-d

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”