MARK-a theory under construction (please comment)

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

MARK-a theory under construction (please comment)

Post by Shana Moore »

MARK-Martial Arts Related Knowledge

I've been mulling over some things I'm currently learning and practicing, as well as some things I've read here and elsewhere. I put my thoughts together in the following visual manner and would be very interested in what folks have to say and add to these thoughts. Please keep in mind I still consider myself very much a beginning student on the path to processing and organizing her thoughts and concepts....so if this is over simplistic or obvious to some, then please point me in a direction to grow...thank you

The basic idea is simply how I currently relate four core concepts in any combat situation. I look forward to a good discussion and opportunity to learn from the many opinions and thoughts here!

Live True, Laugh often
Shana
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Hi Shana,
On a first look it seems to be very reactive and dependent mostly on what the opponent is doing. One thing I've noticed is that more combative styles almost always seem to use control techniques to try to take away their opponents timing, their ability to target and to use distance. Think about the Uechi grabs or the traps of other styles. So I think one concept that is missing is to also control whatever you can.

But then I may be misunderstanding your idea for the diagram.
I was dreaming of the past...
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Actually, Mike that is excellent feedback!

This diagram is more of a way to get my thoughts into a format where I can look at them at one time and determine what I'm missing or gain new understanding. I'll have to revisit this and look at it from an offensive as well as defensive perspective.

Thank you for catching that!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
chef

Post by chef »

Just sent you and Mike a PM question.

Regards.
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shana

I'll mull this over a bit.

But let's start by expanding one of your concepts. Instead of distance - which implies a one-dimensional reference frame with respect to your opponent - I prefer to think of it as relative positioning. For example I do not teach either kyu or dan kumite on a line where people go back and forth. I employ concepts of tai sabaki (tenshin) in more than half of the moves. At the very least, you think of two people with directionality and movement with respect to each other on a plane.

A good example that starts simple is applying the tenshin sequences in the hojoundo to get behind an attacking opponent. From there you can apply the foot technique ("kick") to break their center (put foot blade in the fold behind the knee) and then apply a rear naked choke.

Many times in your kata (particularly in Sanseiryu) it isn't about facing a new opponent. Sometimes it's about getting a different relative position to the same opponent. A creative application of the 225-degree turn in Sanseiryu (followed by Sanchin nukite thrust) is to duck under the arm and then attack the person's triple warmer from a rear diagonal angle.

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

....yeah, like you did to me last night, you turkey!

Vicki

PS Crystal said "Payback is hell".
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Shana Moore

revision two

Post by Shana Moore »

Bill,
First, thanks for the initial feedback. I think my definitions on distance and speed were a bit limiting. I'm not sure I completely get what your pointing out...but I took the feedback you and Mike gave, along with some other feedback received and have come up with this revised model. Again...still a work in progress...but getting closer.

More feedback, please!
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”