military trial of "warrior mind training"

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

military trial of "warrior mind training"

Post by Shana Moore »

I heard about this and found several articles and the originators website, below. The first two news articles focus on classes held at Camp Lejeune, Fort Bragg, and Camp Pendleton. But it appears these classes are growing in number and are being held as part of early training and services for those returning from war. It appears to have some beneficial affects and aids in dealing with PTSD...although rigid trials/studies are still being set up. From thier website, this began in 2005 and is just now building steam. Interesting concept of using meditation as a way to build mental toughness and focus.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 53,00.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27072979/

http://warriortraining.us/about.html
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

from thier website:
The Warrior Mind Training program was developed for the United States military in conjunction with Vietnam-era Veterans, who have practiced this style of mental training for over 40 years, and with professionals in the medical field, including doctorates of neuroscience. This training is based on mind focusing techniques that have been utilized by warriors for thousands of years to maintain focus during battle and to reintegrate themselves into society after the battle is over. By combining these powerful mind focusing techniques with the healing properties of music, warriors can strengthen and battleproof their minds.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

from the articles:
Rooted in the ancient Samurai code of self-discipline, Warrior Mind Training draws on the image of the mythic Japanese fighter, an elite swordsman who honed his battle skills along with his mental precision. The premise? Razor-sharp attention plus razor-sharp marksmanship equals fearsome warrior.
The benefits of Warrior Mind Training, students have told instructors, are impressive: better aim on the shooting range, higher test scores, enhanced ability to handle combat stress and slip back into life at home. No comprehensive studies have been done, though a poll of 25 participants showed 70% said they felt better able to handle stressful situations and 65% had improved self-control.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Having started and restarted a meditative practice of my own, I can add to the anecdotes that Meditation does improve focus and the ability to deal with stress. I have nothing like some of the stressors our men and women in uniform deal with on a daily basis, but I could see it being yet another useful tool.

I don't know if I particularly like the use of music as the meditation tool. I can see that it would help take some of the "new age" feel out of the concept for those that are reluctant to try it, and how it provides a focus point for those new to meditation...but it also provides a crutch that you then have to distance yourself from later...when music is not available but the technique is.

From the articles, it appears they do teach how to do with out the music...but...well...I'm mixed on the technique, but I like the fact that this is being tried as a low cost, simple, travel-adaptable, personal technique to help with the mental stressors of combat.
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”