One big happy (or not) family?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

One big happy (or not) family?

Post by Shana Moore »

I've been reading a book on Chinese medicine, and it advocates physical routines as part of the cure for any injury...makes perfect sense (physical therapy anyone?).

What I find faschinating is that some of the physical routines advocated are remarkably similar to some of the junbi undo and other warm up exercises we do. These are simple stretching/warming exercises usually through repetitive motions.

Which got me to thinking....some of these motions are also very similar to things I've seen in the (pseudo-buy a dvd) tai chi programs. I've also seen some of the MMA and competitive karate that uses very similar techniques.

Which..brings me to this next question: What I am seeing is very similar basic ideas, with thier own twists/applications/rationalizations behind them per the art/style that it is taught from.

I've read here that there are only so many ways one can physically punch/block/kick/etc. I'm not certain I agree with that wholly, but it's interesting. There are so many arguements over who's style is better...but if you look at the core fundamentals...there is so much that is the same.

I would not by any stretch of the imagination, encourage a vanilla karate style...a dumbing down to only the commonailities. I believe it is our different perspectives that keep our art/style alive and our brains engaged.

However, I would be interested in hearing from those in our studio audience who have/do practice more than one style or practice a different style....

What are the similarities in core concepts/form/etc. between the arts you have studied?

Why do you think they are similar?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Warm ups are as old as the hills. Tai chi has a series called "silk reeling" that warms the body, trains the mind to focus on whole body connection, and develop and work the body as a whole (meaning that ideally each movement is a fully integrated movement)

Here's an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtmKhc2uzE

When I did Judo we did more along the lines of calisthenics (for lack of a better term). Jumping jacks, army crawls, push-ups, tumbling, handstands, etc. for about 20-30 minutes at the start of each class.

Some of the older chinese qigong exercises will go by the name Dao Yin or Tao Yin. What is interesting to me is that in the Chinese tradition you rarely just do a movement. Each movement is paired with a clear intent for the mind and an overall goal.
Did you show compassion today?
Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Dana Sheets wrote: What is interesting to me is that in the Chinese tradition you rarely just do a movement. Each movement is paired with a clear intent for the mind and an overall goal.
Isn't that a mindset we should have in all our practice and sparring? I realize that, as far as goals, we need to be flexible and responsive to the moment's needs; however, I am learning that it is equally important to have a goal and intent as it is to be able to respond and defend. In some ways, I might say that that offensive, goal driven mindset may be more important for finishing a true conflict.

But even in our practice, I think this body mind connection is very important. This is not just a sport we practice but an integrated martial art.....or is that what you were getting at in your post? 8O :oops:

Good stuff, thank you Dana!

Any other thoughts on the similarities in martial arts and what they imply? Any one? Any one?
Live True, Laugh often
Shana

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”