Documentary about Master Tamayose

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Documentary about Master Tamayose

Post by Dana Sheets »

Did you show compassion today?
harlan

Post by harlan »

This fellow is making better and better videos...but my college Russian is long gone. :(

Anyone willing to translate? :)
David H

Post by David H »

I can't translate Russian, however I know Tamayose San quite well and hopefully you may find this info interesting. Tamayose was a direct student of Master Kanei, before opening his own dojo above his house in Ginowan. Tamayose is a very introspective person even for an Okinawan. As a young man his form was excellent. My instructor at the time knicknamed him mini-hercules as he had the typical Okinawan musular frame.
I believe he was a Uechi Ryu Association kata champion on at least one occasion.
Tamayose was graded to 8th Dan shortly after his 50th birthday which is the absolute minimum age requirement for this level.
Tamayose has visited Australia many times as a guest instructor. He has also instructed in other countries.

This film was obviously made prior to the recent split in the Okikukai as the Okikukai head dojo is a backdrop for much of the video and Tamayose is now the president of the new Uechi Ryu Okikukai.

The video also featured Arakaki Takashi who actually grew up in Argentina and has close ongoing ties with this country. The recent split has both men on either side of the rift, hopefully this has not damaged their friendship.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”