update/request from Vicki's son

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Shana Moore

update/request from Vicki's son

Post by Shana Moore »

Forwarding this from Vicki's son, Paul:

We are all in shock about the news about Mom's pancreatic cancer. At this time it is unable to be removed and she will be undergoing several months of radiation therapy and chemo in an effort to stop the growth and more importantly, shrink the tumor so surgical removal is an option. She has a tough few months ahead. 

I want to do something that was suggested by a friend (thanks Vern).  As I mentioned, Mom has a difficult few months ahead. I want to put together a gift box to keep her spirits up. Please take a few moments and write her a quick letter, some words of encouragement, a funny memory of her, pictures, ANYTHING to bring some joy to her in this difficult time. Please don't buy anything, as I want this to be personal experiences of how she has touched your life. Please mail letters, pics, cards, whatever...to me by Sept 15 and I will buy a nice giftbox to give it to her from all of us. 

I think this will go a LONG way to show her how much she is loved, and how many people she has praying for her. 

Thank you from all of us for your configured thoughts and prayers. Please call me if you have any questions. 

Paul Scheffler
8569 Wayside Dr
Olmsted Twp, OH 44138
    Live True, Laugh often
    Shana
    Shana Moore

FWIW

Post by Shana Moore »

I struggled with whether I thought vicki would want this personal info shared; however I determined that the good intentions and need for Vicki's son (and the rest of us) to do something useful..and the likely lift this could give Vicki during her upcoming battle was worth the risk (and might motivate her to get well and kick my butt! ...grin). Any blame for dispersing this info here is all mine..any benefit it does our beautiful fighter in this current battle belongs to her son .
    Live True, Laugh often
    Shana
    Sue G

Post by Sue G »

Is there an email address? I'm not in the US but I'd like to send Vicki a message.
    Shana Moore

Post by Shana Moore »

Paul's email is
    pscheffler7@gmail.com
    Live True, Laugh often
    Shana
    Sue G

Post by Sue G »

Many thanks.
    Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

Yes, thank you....upsetting news - her battle is worth many, many positive thoughts.
    Chris
    Shana Moore

update from Vicki's daughter

Post by Shana Moore »

Friends and Family of my mother,

This is actually Vicki's daughter Stephanie writing to give everyone an update on my mom and share some important sites that we've just set up.

Mom just got home on Thursday evening after almost 9 days in the hospital. She has been on the upswing ever since coming home. Some days and nights are better than others and she is still dealing with the pain of numerous procedures. She is having trouble sleeping as she can't seem to get comfortable which means she has to take naps and rest throughout the day.
    To sum up her time in the hospital, my mom was diagnosed with stage 3-stage 4 pancreatic cancer (adenocarcinoma). We have a meeting tomorrow with Massey Cancer Center to set up a chemo/radiation schedule for the next 2-4 months. If they can reduce the size of the tumor, the doctors at Memorial Regional Medical Center will reevaluate to determine whether they will remove it through a Whipple procedure.
    We plan on getting a second opinion on her condition from Johns-Hopkins hospital in Maryland. We will share more information once we set up an appointment.
    My mom's spirits are high mostly due to her faith, and she is remaining optimistic. Your encouragement, prayers, and support have been absolutely instrumental in helping my family deal with the shocking news.

If you would like to come by the house for a visit, the best time is between 11-5 or 7-9 but it is extremely important to call before you plan to come to see if my mom is feeling up to it. The best numbers to call are my number (804-687-1520) or the home number (804-730-8693) because my mom does not always have her cell phone with her and it is an exhausting chore checking all the messages every day.

We recently set up a site for my mom to post journal entries and updates and for you to post encouraging words in her guestbook. The site is http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/vickischeffler but she has yet to write her first journal. Please check this site for updates!

Another site we've set up is for those of you who have offered to help. Visit the site below, request to join the community, and then you can pick a day to make a meal or help with any other errands or chores that we we may need help with. This will be incredibly important in November when I will no longer be living in the area and able to help her on a daily basis. My father is saving his leave time for future surgery and works full days during the week. The site is https://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/630114/

If you know others that are friends of my mom that need this update, please forward this email to them, post it to listserves and forums! Thank you so much for all the love and support!

Regards,
    Stephanie
    Live True, Laugh often
    Shana
    chef

Post by chef »

My children are such a blessing and are all amazing. All three have been so wonderful, along with my husband. They all were here and such a marvelous help during my 8 1/2 day stay in the hospital. I had either my husband or one of my 3 kids there at night with me, helping me for anything I needed. I cannot tell you how many times my daughter (a radiology tech working at the same hospital), helped speed up a process or cut through red tape with a doctor for help in anything needed.

I truly, truly am blessed. A mother could not ask for bet ter children or a husband. I savor every moment of each day with new eyes. I have always enjoyed life, people, and where I was but now, each hour is magnified and precious. May I always see life this way from here on out.

God bless,
    Vicki
    "Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”