Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 1998 5:53 am 

Today after our Saturday morning workout - I became involved in a discussion about our emotional connections to our study of karate. We were talking about getting under all of the superficial trappings of our daily lives and allowing our most primitive passions to flow through - most especially during kata. I have come to recognize a certain beauty in even the beginning level katas when students are making a connection to their primitive sides - the emotional component adds spirit and a beautiful intensity to the moves that goes beyond technical accuracy and proper mechanics of motion.

Personally, I know that kata is a vehicle for me to work through overwhelming emotion - highs, lows, joys and sorrows. A student of mine observed that to him, karate is right between heaven and hell - a vehicle to both. I know that many utilize workouts of different types for the mental benefits, and I believe there are studies about chemicals released during these types of exercise that not only provide a "high" but also serve to adjust even hormonal levels in the body. Some of my women students who are involved with fellow karateka have known this fact for some time actually! And as for the sexual benefits of karate study...hmmm...maybe I should start another thread on that one! Image

So, in light of the search for "mushin" and the workout highs, try a little passion in your kata study - hold tight though - you may find yourself on an intense ride...

Peace and passion,
Lori

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 1998 11:04 pm 

Lori: Yes, please, 'start another thread on that one'.
Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 1998 1:47 am 

Rich,

Go ahead! You start one! I'm sure that any thoughts on the matter will be well received!

I'm sure that a few of you may have some "input" - if you are brave enough!
Lets just not go beyond the "R" rating ok?

Peace,
Lori