THIS FORUM AND THEN THE FIREWORKS

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This is going to be a fairly intense post for some of you ‘lurkers’ and participants but it is not meant to single out anyone ! BUT>> If you recognize yourself here , so be it !

Given the ‘flamers’ who occasionally populate these forums , I had been working on a post aimed at self defense for administrators , then I saw an article about the wise ways of navigating the net ..and much of it applies here as well ! Sure you want to be polite and indulging , but the time comes when you have to take decisive , albeit , ‘unpopular’ action in slamming the moronic vagrants who will attempt to sidetrack you and succeed only in wasting your valuable time , baiting you into mindless response action , robbing you of creative personal , precious moments by enslaving you to their histrionic , grandstanding inanities ! As the article says , unless you evolve certain wiles and essential ‘street smarts’ you will become somebody’s lunch !

You will be up , occasionally, against ‘cyber thugs’ just as surely as you might find yourself against a street thug , suddenly out of nowhere ,and you must learn how to deal with them in a brutal way or you will be forever engaged in the “war of the words” to your dismay ! Don’t worry about being unpopular or drawing the criticism of your ‘ enlightened intellectual’ cyber- friends ..the hell with them ..you stand on your feet and keep swinging and sending your message out there that you will not be messed with !

These forums have the tendency of sometimes attracting the blabbermouths , the imbeciles, insecure , weird , frustrated , structurally weak , whining wimps , who have suddenly hit upon the miracle of the ‘cyber –stage ‘ to launch arguments as a means by which they attempt to confirm their being , when for them, their being is frail and in question! We see them every day in our lives , those who must prove that they are ! These are the noisemakers of your life so busy with permeating the sound /cyber waves with authoritative banality , that they have had no time to form an original thought , nor have they given themselves the opportunity to hear and learn anything from listening to anyone else ! Think about how many spewing “screeching jerks” we have to put up with everyday of our lives , and to be sure , some of them are destined to emerge on your forums from time to time !

My advice , especially if you are a female forum administrator , is not to create a profile or give signals which will be misread , misinterpreted, by the closet creeps looking for vicarious thrills and harboring sexual fantasies ! I just got through investigating a sexual harassment case this week where a woman was preyed upon simply because the perpetrators chose to act on certain “perceived” signals ! In other words , do not leave any “soft spots” to even hint at vulnerability some weird a*** h*** decides to take advantage of with psychological warfare !

You have the power to deal a mortal blow to the imbeciles , you can “click” them into oblivion , you can ignore them , you can slam them unceremoniously , and you can always have the last word by just tossing their stupid words down the “ delete” toilet ! Do this on regular basis and the future mindless wimps will be too intimidated to take you on or to take liberties with you ! And don’t fall into the trap of one on one E-mail …to discuss things ‘in private ‘ ..you will be bombarded by zillions pathetic messages by these jerks giving you no peace !

You mind set principles are the same whether you fight with your hands or with your words ..and don’t give any quarters or you will loose control ! And don’t be swayed or intimidated by any negative comments or criticism from “ your other cyber friends” The hell with them ! [this worth repeating] !!!

The strongest , most successful fighters , will always be alone in the hour of peril while their ”friends” busy themselves hiding under tables !

Van Canna
Knight

Post by Knight »

Viva Van-Sensei.
Interesting, I just this second finished posting on your forum. How apropros this "consultation." Lori will no doubt appreciate your input, as I do. Click-click, goodbye cyberleach.
Michael
david

Post by david »

There are "flamers" who love to disrupt forums every so often. They are best answered with one or two straightforward posts (to ascertain their intentions) and then SILENCE... Yes. This is the same on the street -- call them on it and project a steely determined look that is louder than any words.

Yet, in the particular situation with Mike H., we may not be dealing with "flamer" per se. I occaisonally work out with Mike at the Hut. I don't know him as well as others who work out there regularly. But Mike seems like a nice enough guy.

Mike, I assume you're trying to be funny and irreverant in your posts. But, the subject is serious and obviously very personal for some of those posting. I think some people clearly indicated that the attempt at humor was not appreciated. At that point, it is wise to respect other's feelings and apologize if it were never your intention to insult or demean. To continue on in the same vein is to say that you don't care or that that don't respect their feelings.

You have indicated in your past posts your experience and knowledge of the "streets" and I assume some of the etiquette involved. Then, you know not to "dis" unless you are willing to pursue it to the bitter end.

Mike, you are not just a passing cyber visitor and the rest of those posting are not just anonymous names in "virtual" world. We are in fact all part of the Uechi community in the real world. There can be differences. But the community can stay together so long as respect is shown to one another.

sincerely,

david
moulton

Post by moulton »

-

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 11-25-98).]

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”