protective gear

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

protective gear

Post by gmattson »

Please post where this chest protector can be purchased. If it works, it would solve a major problem for the students and a headach for the teachers. If all women wore them, they could work out much more evenly with their classmates, without their partners worrying about no-touch areas to the chest. (which is of course, a major target area0

------------------
GEM
natalie lane

protective gear

Post by natalie lane »

Hello Sensei-

I got mine at a sporting goods store called "Cleve's" but I am not sure if it is just a Canadian chain or if they are in the US as well. I know these are available in the US as women boxing matches from the US have had the boxers wearing these "turtle shells". It is much more comfortable and close fitting to the body than anything else I have seen, but it definitely protects the area.

Peace,

Natalie

[This message has been edited by natalie lane (edited 01-26-99).]
natalie lane

protective gear

Post by natalie lane »

I know that we did touch on chest protection on the old forum, but since I am competing soon (and just found the chest protector of my dreams) I thought now would be a good time to bring it up again.

Any women out there reading this, please give some feedback on what type of chest protection you wear, and when you wear it.

What about groin protection? Does any one ever use it?

I have never worn chest or groin protection before today(even when competing), but I was surprised at how comfortable I was. I don’t think that I would wear groin protection unless I was sparring, but my new chest protector is comfortable enough to forget about, even for kata. It is a sport bra top that has hard cups that slide into place and can be removed when you want to wash the top. The brand name is “Turtle Shells”. Since the chest is a target for sparring and skills practice, I plan on putting it on every time I put on my gi.

Peace,

Natalie

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”