Strong On Defense

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

david

Strong On Defense

Post by david »

The essentials of self effective defense (not fighting) are covered, in my opinion, by these three books:

Awareness: Marc Animal MacYoung's Violence, Blunders and Fractured Jaws.

Intuition: Gavin DeBecker's Gift of Fear.

Mindsetting/action: Sanford Strong's Strong on Defense.

The latter is written by a former San Diego officer. His book focuses on mindsetting for action when awareness and intuition have failed and one is "engaged." He emphasizes "never give up"; the "second crime scene" is always worse than the first; and to mindset for escape, or fight to escape (not to beat the BG). Lots of good tips and supported by real life incidents/cases.

I think the above are good reads to prepare students mentally for "self-defense" and complement the physical training of the dojo.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited 02-22-99).]
Lori

Strong On Defense

Post by Lori »

David-san,

Thank you for the recommendations! de Becker's book has been required reading for some of my classes (and highly recommended for the others) for some time now.

I will move the other two higher on my own personal list - (my reading list is getting quite long!) and I appreciate your sharing your opionion of these texts on this forum. Since you have already read them, and I highly regard both your input and your assessment of the books, perhaps you could introduce some of the topics and key points as threads!

Thank you for your valuable input!

Peace,
Lori
david

Strong On Defense

Post by david »

Lori,

Okay, I will distill some of his major points. The first will be on injury and fear of injury since this is the stickler for many and especially play in rape crimes. Will do this tonight or tomorrow.

david
Lori

Strong On Defense

Post by Lori »

David-san,

Great! Looking forward to it!

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”