Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 1999 7:33 pm 

Thanks Melanie! Nice to know we're not the only ones out there who believe that you don't have to be an extremist to be a "real woman!"

Thanks for the input!

Peace,
Lori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 1999 8:30 pm 

Question: how do more "moderate" (politically speaking) women feel when they hear radical feminist dogma? This is a question/thread I'm going to start on my own web page in the forum section.

I'm dying for input from you, Lori-Sensei, Melanie, and other women out there.

You can link to the forum from my webpage http://creativebrother.freehosting.net. Please check it out and respond when you get the chance. This question is something I've wanted answered for a while, and since it's not directly related to martial arts, I figured I'll put it out some else.

Cecil

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 1999 5:58 am 

Hello all!

George-Sensei,

Interesting points you brought up, which prompted many thoughtful responses. Thank you!

Lori-san,

You articulated my views on this subject better than I could have. No doubt I too would be viewed as a an enemy by extremist feminist groups.-Good! If you ask me, such radical hate-filled views need a few more adversaries.

Take care all,
Melanie little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 1999 7:17 pm 

I'm only looking for what people really think. I'm only looking for the truth!

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 1999 5:35 am 

Cecil-san

I personally feel that extremist feminist views stemming from hate serve only to alienate. Also I take excetion to those radical femisists that proport to speak for all women. They certainly don't speak for me. I think where radical feminism errs is in their antiquated notion that attaining equality for women necessitates making women into men. A concept rich in irony, don't you think? Image

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Melanie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 1999 7:04 pm 

Lori,

A question was asked on how women were treated in the martial arts in Japan. I can speak from some "ancient" history on my reception on Okinawa. In 1974-1975 and again in 1980 I lived and worked on Okinawa. I was a student of Mr. Shinjo as well as trained with Mr. Uechi.

I will always remember my first workout with Mr. Uechi. It appeared that he never had seen a American female black belt before. My first testing in sanchin was very light and cautious. But, after a few workouts I was treated no different than any other person of the same rank. The reception, in fact, from all the Uechi instructors was always professional and respectful. Within a few months Mr. Uechi had me teaching the noon time workout.

Mr. Shinjo in particular was wonderful to me. He considered me part of his family and looking back I was probably treated better than other students. More time was given to me during workouts, tested a little harder than most, and demands placed on me to be the best. I will be always grateful for his guidance. He truly was a mentor.

Over the years I have trained in the United States with many of the Uechi Okinawan instructors. Again their reception has been equitable and fair.

In fact, I think the Uechi instructors (male and female) that I have met in the United States, Okinawa, and elsewhere are conscientious, hard working, and gracious. I true example of an outstanding teacher would be David Finkelstein in New York City. He is truly a teacher who looks at the person not the gender.

Thanks for listening.

Joan Neide

Joan Neide