What would you do?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Mike Hurney

What would you do?

Post by Mike Hurney »

Lori, I think you should consider it a compliment of sorts and move on. When the notice stops you'll miss it.
I use those reactions as kind of an IQ barometer for guys working for me but try to discourage them "Cool it will ya? Wait 'till you see her old man!".
Highest to lowest IQ
1. Furtive glance.
2. Second look.
3. Stare.
4. "hmmmm..."
5. Whistle.
6. "Wow, lookit the freekin' ...... on her!"
Cecil

What would you do?

Post by Cecil »

In those type of situations, I try to keep walking. I'd suggest the same for you, particularly if there is already a cop around who WILL help you. I have been harrassed by the ignorant--albeit not for the same reasons--except for that one dude on the train (but that's a whole nother topic, okay?). Something like that happened to one of our female instructors about a month ago; she told the guy she was gay. Of course that turned him on more (2-women thing). Then I believe she got in the car and threatened to run him over, which got him to back off.

I hate to sound cold, but you really should not be making any late night runs to 7-11 unless somebody is hurt or dying or having a seizure or fever or something. Really. Because late at night, you can't see, and a woman, even if she is butt ugly (NOT SAYING THAT YOU ARE, OKAY? I'VE NEVER EVEN MET YA, I AM SURE YOU ARE A VERY LOVELY, SMART, POWERFUL, SOPHISTICATED WOMAN), is a target. Big time. And they don't know you know karate when they are drunk, high, and horny, all they know is that you are female and to them, prey. My wife knows a woman who got stabbed 13 times, raped, and left for dead in front of her apartment at 10:45 pm. And the neighborhood is not all that dangerous that she lived in either: she got the bad luck of the draw. Bad luck tends to increase under the cover of darkness.

We can hold hands and sing we shall overcome, black and white together, ebony and ivory, and watch that commerical with Majic Johnson and that short lady all we want, but we are not going to eradicate thousands of years of misogynism and animalistic programming that easily. I know you should be free to go to the store any time, day or night, but the fact is that you are NOT. Hell, I should be able to walk through any part of VA and not be called a n****r, but I am not. Now that doesn't mean you can't live your life, but you have got to realize that when you get in certain situations you take certain risks. There is always going to be one or a few idiots out there who have to one-up themselves by bullying over someone else.

That's why I say if they just talk, keep walking. If they keep talking or move towards you, say something back, but if you think they are going to put their hands on you either run, or try your best to kill one of them.

Can we here more from the WOMEN on this subject?????

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”