SUDDEN PREY

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

SUDDEN PREY

Post by Van Canna »

Frightening Stats for women
If you are over the age of twelve and female, be prepared to be criminally assaulted some time in your life!
If you are just under thirty, there is a 50% chance of your being raped, robbed or attacked!
The odds reduce, as you get older!
Across our nation one out of four families will be victims of serious crimes like burglary, rape, robbery, or murder!
Most people continue to deny the far reaching threat and their vulnerabilities betting that violence will not reach them! Truth does not matter to these people, just hope!
If crime does happen, you can bet that, in almost every instance you will be alone with no one to protect you but yourself!
All witnesses can be counted upon not to help and promptly disappear! {Paxton Quigley}
In 40% of all attacks on women, the victim was knocked to the ground before she even knew what had happened, martial arts skills not withstanding!
80% of assailants were able to scare women into frozen submission by extremely loud and obscene verbal intimidation, something the martial arts do not prepare a woman for!
Know yourself before you can even think of defeating your enemy!
PHIL

SUDDEN PREY

Post by PHIL »

Dear Van Canna Sensei,

Just wondering about the source of these statistics... the last two in particular. While I'm sure your info is of the highest quality, I always try to document new statistics before adding them to my files... mostly because so many seem to disagree with each other! Wasn't it Mark Twain's line: "There are three types of falsehoods- lies, damned lies, and statistics"?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Van Canna

SUDDEN PREY

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Phil,

The stats came from the book “Armed and female” by Paxton Quigley!

The last two from “ Defend yourself __ every Woman’s guide to safeguarding her life” By Matt Thomas, Denise Loveday, and Larry Strauss!

Regards,

------------------
Van Canna
Cecil

SUDDEN PREY

Post by Cecil »

"...assailants were able to scare women into frozen submission by extremely loud and obscene verbal intimidation, something the martial arts do not prepare a woman for! "

Why don't we? The martial arts should do that. It's probably because we would rather have people look pretty doing routines and practice marginal control techniques than have them start out ALREADY ON THE GROUND sometimes in a self defense exercise.

It would not be that hard for us to have a person lay down on their front, have uke on their back with a fake weapon at the back of their head, yelling and screaming, then have Tori try to escape.

Sometimes I feel like I am a grown man playing samurai in funny looking white pajamas instead of a student learning to teach others and myself how to fight off evil people.

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”