FORCE OF INTENT

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

Defining a "force of intent" sounds like the embodiment of mind setting techniques from a self-defense perspective. In fact, we discuss this very point in our defense classes - but my question is this:
How to get past the mindset conditioning that women in particular have received from society and media? Anyone who has worked with abused women and/or children has been affronted with the disbelief that they do not DO something about it (leave, get help, speak up, etc.) - but the fact remains that some kind of conditioning is going on - or has gone on that causes a submissive posture and response in many people (often female) in response to aggression of a physical or emotional nature. Even IF they know on a subconscious level that their personal rights are being violated - they respond almost automatically with lowered eyes, submissive posture, and rationalizations of "he doesn't mean it" "he really does love me" "I provoked this" etc. The predator feeds on this!
Working with some teenage girls in a class right now, I am amazed at some of the things they deal with on a daily basis. In one discussion about a conflict, how they felt, how they responded etc. a story came up from one teenage girl about a boy who became angered because he heard that someone said something that he didn't like and punched the girl he thought said something! The girl's response was tears and withdrawal - but not from the group or the situation, he wasn't dealt with or reprimanded by his peers, and they are still "friends" with this idiot because he has "changed" and matured! (In the last three months!) Arrggh!
In informal discussions with these girls and their friends, I hear countless stories of this "conditioning" that goes on - unbeknownst to many adults - verbal assaults and innuendo that inflates the egos of the boys - and the girls are shocked into embarrassment - or flattered - or both - and do nothing to stop the behavior because they 1) do not think they can 2) don't even realize that they do not have to tolerate it! Case in point - two girls talking on the telephone - an older brother picks up the extension and makes sexual comments and references - the girls dissolve in giggles - and the boy gets the reaction he was looking for and feeds his developing ego!
In the defense/safety class, when we get into the harsher "realities" portion of the discussions and scenarios (harsh language, stress, aggression etc.) these girls invariably dissolve into fits of giggles and embarrassment - even though the older women jump in and tell these girls that they NEED to consider this stuff - because it is only going to get rougher out there!
So where am I going with this? I agree that this type of mind setting is perhaps as effective as you can get - but I submit that it may be a bit more difficult with females in general - a more primary type of mind setting must be overcome somehow to even get them to consider their own "dark force of intent" on a survival response basis!
Any ideas on how to overcome these barriers?
Peace,
Lori

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

CORRECTION: This an original post from Lori loftus initially on my page!

I thought it more appropriate to exist on the women's forum!

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

No easy answers Lori-chan!
Evolutionary traits are to blame. Man was programmed by nature to be the aggressive hunter and his primordial predatory instincts linger on. Women were the fruits of the earth gatherers and were programmed to look down to the ground.
Women are the bearers of life; they were programmed by nature to submit to aggressive men to ensure the propagation of the specie.
Women are brought up to abhor violent solutions. Men in general and criminals alike know by instinct that women are the givers, not the takers of life, and that they are mentally unprepared and ill equipped to respond with violence.
Women usually display a very passive behavior and disdain acts of rightful anger or countervailing force as well as the tools to implement such justified response. They don’t learn how to wrestle around or play rough as young girls growing up; they don’t play with guns, they fear guns, most of them, including lotus eaters men, embrace the Priapic, Freudian concept that a gun symbolizes the phallus, an extension of man’s macho masculinity that cuts them out of the vigorous response group.
Most women, in spite of some superficial martial arts training, are quite intimidated of the thought of having to use stand up aggression in self-defense. They fear hurting the assailant and cower behind the thought they are not violent persons.
Lots of strong women have been observed frozen, crying, and unable to strike a defensive blow in simulated model mugging scenarios.
Additionally, our social structure preconditions women to see themselves as weak and helpless perpetrating the myth that they are easy victims for the men who victimize them out of hatred, pursuit of power and domination.
The perception that women don’t have the determination to preserve their lives is perpetuated in lots of movies, in spite of their holding an assailant at gunpoint! Imagine a tough ex-con, a recidivist, having to face the taunting of his fellow inmates upon landing back in jail when he explains a woman held him captive with a .38 caliber gun! Think of it!!
The con’s response will probably be “ Go ahead and shoot me bitch” __ usually she can’t and the gun is taken away and turned on her in many more ways she cares to imagine!

Another deadly programming by mother nature is the combination of the naturally passive, submissive female, typified by rounded shoulders, lowered head, poor eye contact but desirous of male attention in her flamboyant style of dress, with language, posture, gait and garments intended to advertise sexual attractiveness and availability, if not consciously, certainly subliminally! Most of these women don’t realize what they say or do in everyday interaction with people, but are the ones who find themselves cornered by sexual harassment or by mal-intentioned predators. When you measure this foolish behavior against the physical/psychological destruction of rape, for example, a near death experience, horror of being killed, maimed, mutilated, pregnancy, venereal disease, and aids, it is a wonder why women continue in abject denial!
The woman who fits the above profile will wander right into the arms of trouble and will experience an immobilizing terror when danger surprises her. The stress of such fear can be debilitating.
Before we can talk about what can be done to realign our “mind mechanics” we must first come to grip with these realities!
Do any of your students recognize themselves in this profile? Most will deny it!

References: The woman, the plan, the gun {Gila May-Hayes}
References: Armed and female {Paxton Quigley}

------------------
Van Canna

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

Correction: In the above post I quoted " Women were the fruits of the earth gatherers and were programmed to look down to the ground" It should have read " Women were the gatherers-looking down and collecting the fruits of the earth" { by Gila May-Hayes}

------------------
Van Canna
Shelly King

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Shelly King »

Van Canna

Sometimes I just don't know what to think about you. There are ancient societies were the women were the warriors and men were submissive to them. I do have to regretably agree with you that there is some secret conditioning that takes place that does cause women to be less violent. I have always been a tomboy. I grew up with three older male cousins that didn't cut me any slack when we were rough-housing. I have never "taken" any form of harrassment. In fact I work in a male dominated profession. In situations of high stress and danger, I have always been able to remain calm and that ability has actually saved my life before. However, now that I have begun my Uechi study, I find that I cannot tap into my (what Sensei likes to call) emotional content. In fact, my kiai is rarely above a whisper and I have know idea why. When I do manage to land a good strike on my opponent, I find myself apologizing. I know the women you are talking about and I have never associated myself with those giggly girls yet I do appear to have some mental block when it comes to physical conflict. Don't know, any thoughts?

------------------
Shelly
Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Shelly,

“Sometimes I just don't know what to think about you.” Ha! Perplexed and Pugnacious!! That’s the fighting spirit * smile*

“There are ancient societies were the women were the warriors and men were submissive to them”
< They still exist today in the underground> *grin*

Kidding aside, the problem is a serious one and it needs exploration in depth; I thank you for the interest!”

Gila-May Hayes writes that modern society has influenced women in a most insidious way. Women have been conditioned by society to think and believe that it is terrible to embrace terrible things, such as violent martial arts and firearms capable of producing deadly results!

Your mental block as to physical conflict denotes the struggle of your mind in coming to terms with the unfair constraints society has imposed on women who have embraced the concepts of countervailing [deadly] force!
Your beliefs that you have the right to survive unmolested at the expense of someone else’s life or limb will always be under attack!

She tells of women of experiencing nightmares while getting adjusted to carrying a lethal weapon concealed. Some women feel guilty about enjoying shooting their guns! Most women [and men] feel anxious with the concept of using potential deadly force in a conflict regardless of the danger!

She writes that most women find it difficult if not impossible to discuss their growing beliefs that deadly force, killing an assailant is an exercise in their right to life! Parents, co-workers, and friends usually do not respond supportively! The pool of people who share this mindset is very limited; women in general are appalled by other women ‘s interest in guns and martial arts, and by their quiet aggressive demeanor! Women belong to a more limited peer group who will exercise their right to live and not fall prey!

This type of subliminal conditioning is very insidious!

“American Women are products of our society’s Judeo-Christian conditioning and no one raised in our culture forms a conscience or social code without the influence of these values and ethics.”__Gila –May Hayes

Internalizing your decision to respond with up to deadly countervailing force, takes an inoculation process that is difficult to implement because dojos do not have that type of mindset conditioning! Most senseis are ill equipped to prepare the mind! The best way is to combine martial arts training with specialized lethal force concepts taught by LFI {Massad Ayoob}, Clint Smith of “thunder Ranch” and other similar venues!

Keep contributing Shelly, you have lots to offer!

Peace,

------------------
Van Canna
Lori

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Lori »

Van San:

Thank you for your educational contributions to this forum! I always learn so much from every one of your posts...

The concepts you outline in this thread have often intrigued me - while - like Shelley - I have a hard time understanding or relating to the "giggly" type - I do have to deal with them in the dojo - (usually not for too long however) - and am interested in pursuing a "force continuum" style of study that could help overcome some of this conditioning of which we speak in this thread.

I have become increasingly interested in the descriptions of the LFI training - and would like to know if this type of course is available anywhere else but at the institute where you did your study. Are there videos or other types of training materials available at a moderate cost? I would appreciate any information you can supply here - as I would gladly add this type of training in my dojo if it becomes possible.

Thank you for lending your expertise to this forum!

Peace,
Lori
Moe Mensale

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Moe Mensale »

Lori,

As Van so rightly points out, most senseis (yours truly included) are not properly trained in mind preparation or conditioning, yet they will endeavor to pass on their "knowledge" to their eager and unknowing students who will listen intently as their teacher spews forth "my decades of real world understanding," building up the student's confidence level to the point where they go out into the street and get their asses handed to them by the first recidivist they cross paths with.

Did someone say "DENIAL" again?

LFI will be conducting their LFI-1 class December 16-19, 1999 in Live Oak, FL (between Tallahassee and Jacksonville) and probably in early 2000 down in the Miami area. Personally, I am going to pop for the $600 fee to help tie my MA and firearms training together.

Log onto their website (www.ayoob.com) for more info. You also might want to visit www.tonyblauer.com. His organization sells some very impressive video and audio tapes dealing with the subject.

Moe Mensale
Van Canna

FORCE OF INTENT

Post by Van Canna »

The problem with LFI for lots of people is that it is deadly weapons oriented[ handguns]

If you are not into guns then the Lethal force institute is not for you! Then you have the expense factor of the course cost,the ammo you will use, incidentals and Hotel-food etc.! Can run you about $1,500.00
by the time you are done!

The Tony Blauers tapes and seminars are a sound substitute if you don't want to get into guns!

------------------
Van Canna

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”