WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

Post by Van Canna »

In violent confrontations, you will experience the “ Tachypsychia” effect as the body and mind zero in exclusively on the threat suddenly shocking your system.
You will experience tunnel vision, distortions in perception of time and space, degradation of fine motor skills, general muscle tightening, and tremors. Hearing shuts down to only that which the mind determines necessary for survival, the so called “ auditory exclusion” which causes survivors to report they never heard the shots they fired from their gun or never heard any warnings. Your legs will go heavy, your fancy kicks will not work, and as the blood leaves your extremities to reinforce the large muscle mass for gross motor response, your manual dexterity will rapidly deteriorate! Some will have difficulty forming a workable shoken with their fingers.

Your mental capacity to think rationally will degrade as well.
You will make some very foolish tactical errors!

If you survive the confrontation, in addition to your injuries, you will suffer unpleasant side effects as your body withdraws from a major dose of adrenaline that can last for many hours afterwards or well into the next day. You will be left agitated; there will be nausea, lethargy, sleeplessness, and loss of appetite, a feeling of vulnerability and nightmares as the mind sorts through the fear and memory of the attack!

Other points to ponder:

Contrary to what is indicated by some self defense instructors [especially for women] the use of gutter language aimed at the harasser not only would anger and trigger the assailant, but will be perceived by witnesses as an instigating factor!

Jim Cirillo of NYPD Stake Out Squad fame, doesn’t consider the gun a superior weapon in a very close range gun-knife battle. “ The knife doesn’t run out of bullets,” the knifer can cut you terribly before your bullets shut him down! Conversely, the knifer cannot hope to reliably shut down a determined adversary before he has a chance to exact retribution!

References: The woman, the plan, the gun—By Gila May Hayes!

------------------
Van Canna
david

WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

Post by david »

This is post from www.recguns.com and reposted in knifeforums.com:

Hi. My name is Guy, I am 23 years old and I live in South Africa. 3 weeks ago, Sat 30 September
1995 @ +/- 3:20 am, I was shot once in the leg and once across the head (flesh wound) during an
attempted armed robbery. I thought I would share my experiences, as some of you might be
interested and maybe I just need to get it off my chest.

I have been doing martial arts for about 4 years and have been shooting seriously for about 2 years.
I carry a Colt .45 gov model and mostly carry Black Talons (Yes they are legal here)

About 4 months ago, 4 of us bought a black nightclub where I acted as the Head of Security, (taking
guns, bossing bouncers around and occasionally getting a bit messy myself). At our club, I carried
pepper-spray and my spyderco as well. I also would change my chambered round for a Blue-Tip
Glaser. Needless to say I also carry cocked and locked (which probably saved my life)

On Saturday morning, after locking up and doing cash-up, one of partners was letting the bar staff
out when this guy rushed through and started shooting at me. I was in a crouched position behind the
reception counter, checking for anything that had been dropped, when I looked up and saw this guy
running at me and shooting at me. The 1st 2 shots missed and the 3rd shot got me in the left leg just
below the knee as I stood up. By the time, I was up, he was close enough to me, for me to grab his
gun. So I was struggling to get his gun pointed away from me, when I drew my gun and shot him
point blank in the bottom half of his right lung, with my Blue-Tip Glaser. NO IMMEDIATE
REACTION FROM HIM !!!!!!. Because I was only controlling his gun hand with my left hand, he
was able to point the gun down and shoot me across the head. Why didn't I keep blasting ? MY
GUN JAMMED!!! I was able to determine later, that it had cycled properly, but the hammer had
stayed forward. (I still haven't figured out how - any suggestions ?????)

Anyway, After pressing the trigger a couple of times, I realised the my gun had jammed, so I
dropped it and went back to controlling his gun with both hands. After what felt like forever, I
sensed that he was weakening, so I tripped him up and after breaking a couple of his fingers, was ale
to wrench his gun away from him and shot him in the upper chest with his gun. He was carrying a
five-chamber .32 revolver, so that shot was the last live round in his gun. I was aware that my gun
was behind me, and I couldn't let him get to it, so I started kicking him in the face, and punching him
and I even tried to rip his eyes out. All this time, he was still struggling to get up and putting up a
fight, and I could feel myself getting weaker and the pain was starting to come through. I saw one of
the barmen crawling around upstairs, so I shouted to him to open the doors.

As he had run through the door, one of my partners had put a tonfur (night-stick) through the handles
of the door, which prevented his two friends from coming in. 2 partners had broken through the
back door to go and get help and they were now banging on the front door, with one of my
bouncers. So they came through and took over from where I left off, where I went to retrieve my
gun, and go and sit down. I was then rushed off to hospital.

He died a couple of days later in hospital, the details of which I don't know.

This is what I have learnt from my experience :

1) NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF ADRENALIN. I was shot in the leg and
although I knew I was shot in the leg, was able to use it normally until I had sat down, and only then
did it really start to hurt. This guy was so pumped and so full of murder and hatred, he never felt a
thing and should have been unconcious from the beating that he took. He was still conscious when I
went to hospital. (breathing through a hole in his chest and all)

2) ALTHOUGH THE GLASER IS A GOOD ROUND, IT IS NOT A GUARENTEED
STOPPER. I personally do not believe in "one-stop" rounds in any handgun, and my belief in this has
only been strengthend by my experience. I believe placement and quantity are the best defense,
however both of these were denied to me in my experience. If I had brought my gun higher to shoot
him where it counts most, he would have seen it and probably grabbed it as i had grabbed his.

3) CYCLING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASSET IN ANY SEMI-AUTO Polish your ramp,
use rounds that you KNOW will cycle well, clean your magazines as well as you clean your gun.

4) BE PSYCHOLOGICALLY PREPARED. My training in combat courses and martial arts saved
my life. That is the only certainty I have.

OK - I'll shutup now, I could go one about the aftermath .... The fact that I have difficulty sleeping,
the fact that I feel like I'm living on "borrowed time" and the fact that I am petrified when I walk in
the streets now, but I won't.

I'll leave with this peice of advice - For those of you that haven't read it, read the GUNS.REC FAQ
on WWW. (I forget the address) and any of you that would secretly like, but won't admit it to
anyone, to be in a gun-fight - DON'T BE FOOLISH - It's not glamourous, It's not fun and it takes a
hell of a long time to get over.

Sorry that this is so long and thanks for reading it. Please feel free to comment and if anyone would
like to contact me or ask me anything further, please feel free to mail me.
Van Canna

WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

Post by Van Canna »

David,
Thanks for the post! Sobering, isn't it!
What a wake up call for the "cocoon dwellers"
with their techniques of doom!

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

Post by Van Canna »

One reported incident has an attacker taking seven to eight .45 ball ammunition in the torso and then caught a city bus to the nearest hospital! Other documented cases report adrenalized assailants continuing the fight after taking multiple hits of .357 caliber hollow point ammunition!

Experts tell us that in the heat of “ enraged combat” The body becomes one tough machine, and instant stops with handguns or knives are almost impossible to achieve, unless placing shots exactly to the brain’s medulla oblongata at the base of the skull, or through the eye sockets!

Question to the armchair MA experts: If bullets are not to be counted on for instant stops, what makes us so smug about our empty hand techniques?

------------------
Van Canna
Raffi Derderian

WHEN VIOLENCE COMES

Post by Raffi Derderian »

One of my former instructors in Arnis and daga was a detective in the Dallas area.
He saw lots of gun and knife murders and attacks. The stories I just read remind of one he told me once.
A man was attacked and had his arm slashed through to the bone. The limb was hanging on by very little. He subdued his attacker and drove to the hospital, walked into the E.R. held up the damaged limb and said in a very calm voice "can anyone here fix this?"
There are no absolute techniques, except as Van Sensei says, a bullet to the back of the head.
I have had some students, unfortunatly, involved in assaults in my years of teaching. I am happy to say, most, not all, but most did very well. In my opinion, the most important element in victory in these cases was attitude. Positive mental attitude that they developed in their training. I don't teach people how to defend the nerd up the road. The imaginary attacker they have in mind when they train is the 200+ lb pyscho who is determined to destroy you.
There are no pretty streetfights. You won't get to use fancy kicks. We train our students for the 6 second battle. Forward pressure attacking to end a fight in 6 seconds. Now of course, that is only the goal. Obviously, a fight can and will and does often go on longer. But this method of training does develop explosive energy with good strong, fast, and effective technique to back it up. But best of all, the students develop a powerful and confident mental attitude.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”