Fill in the blank "_______for a woman"

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Thanks again Gilbert.
I guess I understand where you're coming from but I just don't understand why someone would study a fighting art and then expect special treatment because of their gender. If you don't want to improve your strength and conditioning why show up? It reminds me of the girls in the gym who show up for a workout with the hair and make-up done to the max and then pretend to work out,never breaking a sweat. What's that all about? Image

Lori M-D
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

"It reminds me of the girls in the gym who show up for a workout with the hair and make-up done to the max and then pretend to work out,never breaking a sweat. What's that all about?
Lori M-D"

Lori, they are not there to work out, they are there to "HUNT"

------------------
Van Canna
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Ok...just read back through the posts and something caught my attention that I missed previously...

Lori asked "where are the senior females" in an earlier reply. So now I'm asking, where are the females? Regularly there are only a handful of females who meet on the forums. So if you are out there lurking, chime in, let us know what you think. As for senior females, why don't we hear from you?

LoriMD
Van Canna hit that one right on the head...what gets my goat is the fact they always seem to tie up the best equipment while on the prowl for fresh meat.

------------------
Shelly
Gilbert MacIntyre

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

I hope you did not take offense

Shelly:
No offense taken. I enjoy the interaction of ideas. I do agree with you on the feeling one gets from a good test in Sanchin. Whenever I was going for a testing and was tested by some one who believed in going a little easier on the body conditioning part of the test I felt cheated. One because I am at my best at test boards and I want to show it, but more than that it is what lori stated that the sanchin test sets your mood for the rest of the test

------------------
Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. proverbs 22:6
Gilbert MacIntyre

I hope you did not take offense

Shelly

No offense taken. I enjoy the interaction of ideas. I must say I agree with you on the feeling of a good sanchin test. Over the years going in front of test boards I always felt cheated when I didn't get a good hard sanchin test. Two reasons, I'm at my best at the time of a board testing and I want to show it, and like lori said it sets the mood for the rest of the test

------------------
Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. proverbs 22:6
Gilbert MacIntyre

Just realized there was two pages. Wondered where my post went. Yall will have to be patient, I"m just on my first green stripe in computers.

------------------
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

I hear you Mary...I tend to look as bad going into class as coming out of. I actually had to do some out of town job recruiting and had to drive almost 3 hours back, straight to the dojo for class. Walked in wearing a suit, heels, makeup, and curled hair. Took alot of slack that night.

Anthony
Thanks for the info on closing threads and the multiple pages.

------------------
Shelly
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Shelly,
Sorry I had to cut our conversation short last night. Massive thunder storm .It was awesome!!!
You are so right. It always seemes those girls use the best equipment to pose on. I guess that's why I gave up on the gym I was going to. I always felt I walked into a fashion show. Don't get me wrong, I like to look my best but I've always felt that looking good while you work out is an oxymoron. Image

Lori M-D
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Hi LoriMD
It's ok, I survived....barely. Hope the storm left no damage in its wake. I quit going to gyms...they're the absolute worst place to workout. You either had to wait for the spandex queen to quit primping or the steriod apes to quit admiring their muscles before you could use the equipment. Might not be able to do all the exercises at home but at least I know no one is watching me. Actually gyms had become such a pet peeve of mine that when Bruce mentioned going a karate class, I carried over my gym expectations to the dojo. I was expecting to walk into a class of nothing but 16-20 year old guys. Big surprise when I realized most all the people were 30+ and married. Acutally right now the adults class is 50% female.

------------------
Shelly
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Lori (MD) can you just imagine showing up at our dojo like that? About 2 minutes into our classes my "made up" face would be dripping off.... it's bad enough having to wring the sweat out of the gi at the end of a class (I recall Monday night's barn burner!!!)

Van-sensei ... great pun (for all: Lori MD and I work out at Dave "Hunt's" dojo Image)and believe me, there is no "hunting" there!!!

------------------

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”