Stand By Your Man

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

RickLiebespach

Stand By Your Man

Post by RickLiebespach »

J.D.
ROFLOL Image

Mary
"Sweet"....Thanks!
I've shown Judy and Beth (My wife and 8year old daughter), some stuff from time to time. Beth has had some MA (6 months), but I've had some different stuff than she has had. I've been taking some Hapkido recently (month and a half) and I've picked up some wrist lock stuff that has only been sparaticly (sp?) taught in our Uechi class.

Neither of them are as interested in it as I am...although Beth likes to use it in our "wrestling" Image

I tend to think that in most of these senerios, intervention is an act of love...after it is established that the first defendant can't cut it alone...otherwise it's harmful.

Two problems I have are
1. Hesitancy...slow evaluation
...but if it were my gal being attacked... I'd be there fast and perhaps to far...if able.

2. What to do?
What attacks have you (if applicable) found effective against someone in the midst of the chem. cocktail?

Rick
Lori

Stand By Your Man

Post by Lori »

J.D.-san,

I saw that - read in the report that she did the classic lamp over the head move - straight out of the movies! Good for her!

So - does hollywood imitate life or life imitate hollywood? (I'm not sure that the term "art" really applies...)

Peace,
Lori
student

Stand By Your Man

Post by student »

Way to go, Harrisons!

For once, one could write in these Forums about Marital Arts, without it being a typographical error! Image

student
Shelly King

Stand By Your Man

Post by Shelly King »

So much to get caught up on...

OK, I've had similar situations to those proposed by Cecil, but for this I'll just mention two of them. Please note these all occurred prior to any training.

In the first, I did jump the guy who was trying to beat-up a guy friend of mine at a party. Ended up fairly bruised in the end but my intervention got the fight stopped pretty quickly...male cousin didn't think the fight was as near as fun to watch when he realized who was involved and broke it up.

The second, my prom date got into a fight after mouthing off to some people at a party. Everyone who knew me kept asking me if I was going to break it up. "NO, he brought it on himself."

So personally, I am prone to get involved, excluding those cases when they were asking for it and had made the mistake of getting me mad prior to the incidnet, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...Yes in the first case there was some serious fallout afterwards...he did not like getting help from a girl, but he got over it and we still laugh about it when we see each other. Ego's do get hurt but you can't tell prior to the fight if it's going to be life or death or just a friendly brawl. You go on instinct and think about it later.

------------------
Shelly
Jackie Olsen

Stand By Your Man

Post by Jackie Olsen »

In an ideal world, men and women want equal partners to stand beside them. However, maybe it's the company I keep or the circles I've traveled in, I've never known a guy to want a "strong" woman to help defend him. My BB son has no problem with one of his BB female friends stepping into help him if there was a problem. Perhaps it's a generational gap thing.

I polled the guys in the dojo, and they thought it would be pretty "cool" if a black belt woman fought alongside them. These are the same guys that didn't have a problem with me taking care of the dude all by myself if I was capable.

However, I notice that most guys (and probably women) do not date or marry someone who's in martial arts. It takes very healthy egos without "power/control" issues to support two strong people in a relationship.

So, to answer the question: Would I step in? Yes. Would the guy I'm with like it? NO.

Jackie
Cecil

Stand By Your Man

Post by Cecil »

Well, ladies, if you are ever walking with me, feel free to take care of business. I have no problem standing behind you and going (i.e. lieing) "Yeah! Yeah! That's right! And I taught her!!!"

But seriously, it migt bother me a little, but I will be more than grateful for the save from bodily harm. Most guys though, yes.
Plus, I may even become your student!

Cecil

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”