Surgery vs Mother Nature

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

David Elkins

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by David Elkins »

We're having a rip roaring time on my forum debating the relative merits of -- you name it. In that spirit, I raise the following for your consideration.

As a consequence of a momentary lapse in my neural transmitters, my favorite right wrist (connecting my right hand to my right forearm for those of you who haven't studied such complexities) suffered a grieveous injury, to wit, a sprain four days ago. Oh well, after having done such a dumb thing I have to inflate it a little.

I was in great turmoil. I didn't know if I should go to a Doc-In-The-Box or simply end it all the honorable way. Between Tony-san and myself we certainly could have done the job. Me to cut, him to second and cut my head off should I cry out and thus dishonor myself.

Out of every adversity rises the possibility of redemption. Sensei Lori offered me herbs and balms that were most bitter but promised salvation.

I tell you now brothers and sisters that as I stand before you I am healed. I will wait a day or two before returning to my usual regimen of smiting anything that I can find to smite, but for all practical purposes the injury is resolved.

Now tell me, were my meager bodily defenses reinforced by these ministrations, perhaps my qi flow was enhanced, or was it simply a matter of suggestion? What do you think?

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
maurice richard libby

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by maurice richard libby »

I for one, would be loth to underestimate the estimable Lori.

Which herbs, by the way.

At the risk of bring the rash of a certain un-named doctor, who shall remain nameless but whose initial is JD (or X, if you want). I use a home made dit da jow that works wonders, so I am not too skeptical about herbal remedies.

I'm glad you went the herbal route rather than the messy, and somewhat less than satisfactory seppuku .

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
lori macleod-doyle

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

David,
I know the esteemed Dr.X will have something to say about this but I will venture forth anyway. Image

Does it really matter?
What is important is that you have recovered! I am a firm believer that if it can be helped naturally than go for it. I visit a chiropractor monthly and also see an accupuncturist occasionally for back problems that the doctors at the sports medicine clinic told me were all in my head.
These two wonderful professionals have helped to alieveate(sp?) the back and neck pain I had experienced for years.
Now I don't know if it is suggestion or not. All I know is that the pain is gone. I can work and I can work out and that is what matters to me! Image

Lori M-D
David Elkins

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by David Elkins »

Where is he, bring him on. My wrist is living testimony to the healing powers of Mother Earth. I can hit things again! How could I research the way of power without being able to hit things?

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
Shelly King

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by Shelly King »

David-san

Baiting our good doctor? I think it's safe to assume that he will immediately site that since your healing was not performed in a controled environment while being watched by 20 scientists and documented by the American Jounal of Medicine, the fact that your wrist is better does not conclude that you are in fact healed. Despite the numerous personal stories that many on this forum have given regaurding their successes with non-traditional medicine, apparently it's still a bunch of flim-flam instilled in our poor impressional minds by chiropractic con-artists.

------------------
Shelly
Lori

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by Lori »

Estimable David Sensei,

'twas my priveledge to initate you into the ancient healing rites... and I most humbly thank you for your testimony! I note that our beloved and most verbal detractor (beloved?) has opted out of this particular discussion - perhaps he is too involved in his caffeine research to comment at present...

I'm only glad that my ministrations provided you with some relief. And your courage at submitting to my "witchcraft" is testimony to your warrior spirit (or desperation!). In any case - glad to have been of service. Now if I could just find the right remedy for these torn ligaments so I can get back to smiting things full power myself! (Actually, I have recently consulted with my mentor in this area of healing who has been treating me and I am noticing some serious improvement of late (even if it is all in my mind!))

It was wonderful to meet you at winterfest - can't wait till the next opportunity to work out with you when I don't have to wear all kinds of straps and braces just to keep myself upright!

Peace,
Lori
Lori

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by Lori »

Maurice-san,

In response to your query of "which herbs" - I provided David Sensei with the use of a few ancient secret recipes that I cannot divulge in a public forum!

Seriously, I believe the most potent of the regimen was Arnica Montana in a 200C potency - of Indian hand-succussed extraction. But the same remedy can be purchased from any reputable homeopathic supplier. I've found it to be very helpful in speeding the healing of impact injuries - reducing swelling and bruising rather dramatically depending upon the severity of the injury. Even our formidable Tony-san once experienced a positive result from a high potency extraction of Arnica after I smashed his foot with a bat... in all honesty he hasn't had such great results from other homeopathic remedies - but that one time it did have an effect.

Another "alternative" remedy that I used at Winterfest is a blend of essential oils that have an almost anesthetic effect before training - numbing muscle pain - works pretty good in conditioning routines. Of course I'm not recommending or prescribing or anything like that - but if you want the ingredients - email me and I'll send it to you.

Still haven't found all the ingredients for the dit da jow - one of these days I will do that however; I've been fortunate enough to use some of my former sifu's recipe that worked wonders. Even if it hasn't been subjected to controlled studies, somehow a few hundred years of use by oriental martial artists seems like there might be some merit to its use...

Peace,
Lori
Lori

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by Lori »

Hey Tony-san,

If you're willing to give it a try I'll bring my magic potions to our workout tomorrow... after all, what can a little distilled water do to you? You never know!

Lori
Lori

Surgery vs Mother Nature

Post by Lori »

Tony-san,

You must know my friend - that the healing is all in your mind...

Seriously - glad my "distilled water" worked for you this time around!

Combined with those oils - I don't think the rib had a chance. Combining the two is the only way I have been able to get any training in at all since my injury.

Glad it helped!
Lori

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”