She gave him what he deserved:

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Sochin

Post by Sochin »

This comes courtesy of theTactical lady, Knifeforums.com :
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Racegun
posted February 06, 2000 10:33 AM

This is so good I just had to share it with all of you... Enjoy!!!

'GRANBO' Gun-toting granny shoots 2 rapists' testicles off
http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/stories/1723.html
GO TO THE SITE TO SEE THIS WOMAN'S PICTURE !

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Gun-toting granny Ava Estelle, 81, was so ticked-off
when two thugs raped her 18-year-old granddaughter that she tracked the
unsuspecting ex-cons down - - and shot their testicles off!

"The old lady spent a week hunting those bums down -- and when she found
them, she took revenge on them in her own special way," said admiring
Melbourne police investigator Evan Delp.

"Then she took a taxi to the nearest police station, laid the gun on the
sergeant's desk and told him as calm as could be: 'Those bastards will never
rape anybody again, by God.'

Cops say convicted rapist and robber Davis Furth, 33, lost both his penis
and his testicles when outraged Ava opened fire with a 9-mm pistol in the
seedy hotel room where he and former prison cellmate Stanley Thomas, 29,
were holed up.

The wrinkled avenger also blew Thomas' testicles to kingdom come, but
doctors managed to save his mangled penis, policy said.

"The one guy, Thomas, didn't lose his manhood, but the doctor I talked to
said he won't be using it the way he used to," Detective Delp told
reporters. "Both men are still in pretty bad shape, but I think they're just
happy to be alive after what they've been through."

The Rambo Granny swung into action August 21 after her granddaughter Debbie
was carjacked and raped by two knife-wielding creeps in a section of town
bordering on skid row.

"When I saw the look on my Debbie's face that night in the hospital, I
decided I was going to go out and get those bastards myself 'cause I figured
the police would go easy on them," recalled the retired library worker. "And
I wasn't scared of them, either -- because I've got me a gun and I've been
shootin' it all my life."

So, using a police artist's sketch of the suspects and Debbie's description
of the sickos' car, tough-as-nails Ava spent seven days prowling the
wino-infested neighborhood where the crime took place till she spotted the
ill-fated rapists entering their flophouse hotel.

"I know it was them the minute I saw 'em, but I shot a picture of 'em anyway
and took it back to Debbie and she said sure as hell, it was them," the
ornery oldster recalled.

"So I went back to that hotel and found their room and knocked on the
door -- and the minute the big one, Furth, opened the door, I shot 'em got
right square between the legs, right where it would really hurt 'em most,
you know. Then I went down to the police station and turned myself in."

Now, baffled lawmen are tying to figure out how to deal with the vigilante
granny. "What she did was wrong, but you can't really throw an 81-year-old
woman in prison." Det. Delp said, "especially when all 3 million people in
the city want to nominate her for sainthood."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Ted T.
The Fighting Old Man
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Way to go Grandma!!!!
She definatly has what she took from them.

Lori M-D
Lori

Post by Lori »

Thank you for posting this article!

Punishment befitting the crime seems an excellent deterrent - at least the same crime will never be comitted... Those having experience in the mid/near east can certainly attest to that - but there are a lot of problems with vigilante justice! Arguably just as many with the "official" justice system. Nothing is more infuriating than violent offenders getting the proverbial slap on the wrist and being released to do it again. Legalities of this kind of action are a very serious issue - as has been discussed often on Van-Sensei's forum!

Perhaps it is my journalism training that makes me a little skeptical of this article - and I'm sure there are many rooting for "granny" as the article states, but two parts stand out to me:

<blockquote>...after her granddaughter Debbie
was carjacked and raped by two knife-wielding creeps in a section of town
bordering on skid row... Ava spent seven days prowling the wino-infested neighborhood where the crime took place till she spotted the ill-fated rapists entering their flophouse hotel.</blockquote>

OK - first we are bordering a skid row section of town - what was her granddaughter doing there - did she have the doors locked - what time of day was it and was there an alternate route available?

Second - what was "granny" then doing prowling around the "wino-infested" neighborhood if the crime took place on the so called "border."

You may wonder how I can take a critical view - in light of my recent other thread on the debate about a woman "deserving" what she gets - but you have to take these stories with a grain of salt - and when inconsistencies like this stand out so blatantly - you often wonder how much enthusiasm for an underdog story may be developing into an urban legend.

Don't get me wrong - nothing is better than a rapist getting what they deserve - but the human condition is infinitely complex - and we have to be careful who we root for lest we undermine the only system we've got - which - comparitively - is not that bad! (If you've lived overseas in some third-world or communist influenced countries - you may have a different perspective on how terrible our system really is.)

As for justice being served in this case - who's to say for sure? It seems that even in our wonderful justice system, even a murder rap can be bought off. So a little old rape? Disgusting how many real sexual offenders are still walking the streets after being caught. Even more disgusting how many don't get caught.

So what can we learn from this story - true or not? Will granny be prosecuted? Should she? Should we adopt/lobby for this kind of treatment of sexual predators? Would it deter the behavior?

Lots of good questions - you may have more! Please feel free to give them a voice here!

Peace,
Lori
Greg

Post by Greg »

A couple of thoughts...

This is one of those 'too good to be true' stories on a couple of counts.

1) IT WAS IN THE WEEKLY WORLD NEWS! Sorry for the shouting - I couldn't help myself. Can I assume that everyone is familiar with this supermarket tabloid that regularly publishes photograpic evidence of Elvis being abducted by aliens...

In fact, I think they did a story proving that chi exists... [Dr. X's Editor made me type that!]

2) As tempting as it is to 'let the punishment fit the crime,' experts agree that rape is about control of, and violence against, women and is not a 'sexual' act per se (i.e. it is not fulfiling 'sexual' needs for the rapist). The point being that even a castrated rapist is still a rapist and will find some other way to hurt women - he just won't use his genitals to do it.

At the risk of a diatribe... the only 'reliable' answer to sexual crimes is not a particularly politically expedient nor satisfying one - treatment for sex offenders mandated as part of a criminal sentence. If they don't get better, they stay locked up. People get very upset at this notion (either about the 'treatment' part or the 'stay locked up' part). Massachusetts had a situation like this for a while until the law was changed - dangerous sex offenders were locked up at Bridgewater State and not released until they were 'better.' (only a small liklihood of reoffending) Some did not get 'better,' and were incarcerated for many years. Eventually the law was changed (although the folks who were already there have, I believe, remained there under the same conditions), although I am unsure whether this was because of 'prisoners rights' folks or 'taxpayers rights' (folks didn't feel they should have to pay the bill to keep people locked up - so let's let them out...). One more thing, and then the diatribe is over. I have found, in my experience, that those in the field who work with sex offenders (whether in a law enforcement or treatment capacity) tend to agree - two choices: treatment or death... because if you let them out, and they haven't had effective treatment, they will do it again - no matter how long they were in.

sorry to bring everyone down Image

greg
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Greg

I agree with you 50%...death - good....treatment - worthless. OK, so HOW do you tell if a sex offender is better? See how long he goes before attacking someone again? The truth is that most are never caught and those that are caught rarely spend any hard jail time.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”