Black belt or perpetrator

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Otsu

Post by Otsu »

My experience with the martial arts is limited (I just began studying about 6 monthes ago). The black belt I mentioned previously was my first experience with martial arts, which didn't exactly give them a favorable flavor. It took getting married to a man that is a true black belt for me to even consider getting involved myself. He taught me that most of the black belts and schools around here are a crock. It took some time for this to sink in. I was very disallusioned because I had an idea before I was raped that accomplished martial artists (black belts) were supposed to be honorable. Needless to say, my ideas changed for the worse. Now, I have had a chance to learn what that "code" is really about and have changed my opinion again and am excited about being a martial artist myself. As I said before, I began learning the martial arts to defend myself..now, as I have learned more, I am hooked (I love it!) and am learning all the different aspects including the spiritual.

I am dismayed that so many Americans (in this area anyway) don't seem to have a clue. They just want to kick butt. Naturally, someone who has power issues would be attracted to such a thing. I don't really know how a teacher would shape such a student, maybe they shouldn't teach them?

A note of interest: there are a couple dojos around here that actually tell their students to go practice their techniques on the street! Is it the fault of the student or the sensei?

I would be very interested to hear your opinions and comments.

Otsu
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

"there are a couple dojos around here that actually tell their students to go practice their techniques on the street! Is it the fault of the student or the sensei?"

Much as I hate quoting movies..."There is no such thing as bad student...only bad teacher."

Or so says Mr. Miyagi.

This actually came up in conversation with a couple of my training partners recently. The gist of the question was the same, though it was a little more directly phrased: "If Sifu told you to go beat someone up, would you?"

I believe that the Art(s) are meant to be devoted to self-defense. Not self-offense, or someone-else offense. If a teacher is telling his student to get into fights, he is teaching them to be predators.

On the other hand, the student, particularly if s/he is an adult, SHOULD have the moral understanding to realize that this is wrong. At least, that's the theory. Obviously, some adults have a lot less moral character than they should.

Jake

------------------
Train Harder! More Chi!
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Otsu-san

Did you know before/during that your attacker was a black belt or only after the fact? Besides the obvious, which you've already stated, how else has your experience affected your training? If you feel this is too personal, please feel free to just say so or if you prefer you can email me at shellyking@hotmail.com...sorry I don't know how to actually set up the link.

On topic, every situation is different...there are some criminals out there who are so good at hiding their "alter ego" that even a good sensei wouldn't know that what they are teaching is being used inappropriately. But a sensei should have the right to refuse training someone they are wary about...however, a good sensei will want to see the good in a person and though they might see someone on the edge they will try to help them become a better person...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

------------------
Shelly
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

Y'know, this just occurs to me...there was an article in a Black Belt (I think..I can't keep all of the martial arts mags straight...) written by a woman who had been raped by her TKD instructor.

I know it's a little off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone else saw the article, and if they remember anything more about it...might be relevant to this discussion.

Jake

------------------
Train Harder! More Chi!
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

I have heard that this is the very reason that the "old masters" did not teach kyusho to "just anyone" - they taught the most effective techniques to thier closest and most advanced students after a strong foundation in moral philosophy had been established and the teacher knew he could trust his student. I don't know if this is true or not, but it sure makes sense does'nt it?
SEAN C

Post by SEAN C »

Billy B,

That makes sense to me. I've heard rumors of threats to people who decided to spread this knowledge in the past. The weird thing is, now that some of this stuff is out there, many people don't want to know. I'm sorry for going off topic.

------------------
sean
SEAN C

Post by SEAN C »

I practice the martial arts as a noble pursuit, only to better myself. People always have their own reasons for doing things. Some people are just a-holes, no matter what they are doing. I think martial arts are a great thing, but I have come to lose the illusion of all martial artists being great people. Mr. Miyagi really does exist, but so does mr. dic*head.

------------------
sean

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”