A new style for women

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

BILLY B

A new style for women

Post by BILLY B »

On Bill-Sensei's forum there is a thread about folks who start thier own tradition. Some are seen as self-agrandizing, others who really have discovered something new and "better" or effective usually become respected and develop a following. Bruce Lee might be considered in the latter catagory, I believe. I have also heard that in China in the martial arts "hayday" masters would assign certain exercises like quan(kata) based on the individual's physical/mental/emotional makeup. If you were tall and agressive in nature, you learned this kata, if you were short/stocky and passive, you learned that kata....

Well, comments made on Van-Sensei's forum recently have got me considering something. If women were to make up a system of fighting techniques that would specifically emphasize the physical attributes of most women - what would it consist of? Women have very strong hips, but weak upper bodies. And then there are the emotional/hormonal differences... Ever consider this ladies?

ps: One story says that wing chun was developed by a woman. It uses the same stance as Uechi-ryu, do we see any female oriented paths of movement in these systems?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”