Kickboxing.. A service or deception?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

The answer really depends on the teacher.

First of all, what kind of kickboxing are we talking about here? Are we talking full contact, or Tai-bo? The answer will have an effect on the value of it's practice in combat.

Kickboxing can develop a lot of valuable attributes, including endurance, pain management, proximity sense, and even a bit on dealing with fear.

Is it a totally street oriented system? No, but not much is.

Some women may get a false confidence from the classes, true.

On the other hand, some women may get the will to fight back simply from the class.

"Overconfidence may get you killed. No confidence will get you killed" - BTS Maxim

Just some musings.

Jake

------------------
Defeat is worse than death. You have to live with defeat - Seal Team Slogan
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

There has been considerable interest in kickboxing over the last few years. (ref. the Bus & mktg forum) A lot of TMA dojos are now offering it as another means to get in shape and as a means of self defense.

The main area of concern I have with that "style" if you will, is that it may be deceiving women (in particular) that they are able to "defend themselves in any situation". The quotes are from a local ad this past week in the town circular. The part that may be missing is the development of the "mindset" to perceive threats and act against them. I.e. Jab, jab, kick, sweat, jab, jab, kick sweat, go home.

On the other hand…..just by the fact that people are signing up for these courses instead of a basic cardio fitness program, they will in fact retain a concept of awareness (IMHO, the most important aspect of self defense) when they hit the streets.

To get to the point, is this a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing? I.e, creating a false confidence. (Not that TMA training doesn't produce the same sad result a lot of the time) Or is anything better than nothing? (my vote)

Kevin

------------------
http://homepage.altavista.com/Uechi_Ryu_Karate/
<A HREF="mailto:k_mackie@hotmail.com">k_mackie@hotmail.com</A>

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”