women in korean history

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

women in korean history

Post by Allen M. »

Right, Student.

I woke up from a coma in a hospital room some 18 years ago, paralyzed from the waist down after having been run over by a pickup truck, and was told I’d never walk again. I fought and struggled to regain my legs in spite of misdiagnosis, and within a year from the accident I was walking, mostly without the support of appliances. Within two more years I got back whatever I was going to get back in terms of healing and mobility. Later down the road, while living in Albuquerque, I was afforded both myofacial traction and acupuncture, which offered some improvement and relief. I continually have to exercise else my legs forget they are supposed to move. Mobility slowly and imperceptibly worsened, starting in 1995 when I substituted significant exercise time for time to write my first book that year. Last October I was diagnosed with enough arthritis in both hips to warrant hip replacement -- both of them. My friendly family physician, also a surgeon, said when I couldn’t take the pain anymore would be the time to go in and have the operation. Within several weeks, I made the connection to Korea, flew some people to my house, and after three weeks of intense treatment, the arthritis problem was gone. As a side benefit, a considerable amount of nerve repair was done; much of it held. A second installment of treatments is in the works for this summer.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”